Fedora explains decision to sit Elijah Hood on final drive

Elijah Hood (34) carries the ball during UNC’s game against USC in Charlotte.

Every time the 6-foot, 220-pound running back receives a handoff, he looks to impose his physical presence, shedding tackles and sprinting downfield with reckless abandon.

And when it comes to finishing near the goal line, where it’s imperative for a tailback to absorb contact and run straight ahead, Hood embraces the challenge.

“I know my chance to push it in, and there’s nothing like punching it in on a defense to take the air out of their lungs,” he said. “It’s something I’ve always done — whenever it’s on the goal line, being able to be the guy to get it in no matter what.”

Despite a career-best performance in North Carolina’s 17-13 loss to South Carolina on Thursday, the sophomore didn’t get the ball when UNC ran three plays inside the Gamecocks’ 9-yard line in the final minutes. In fact, he didn’t even see the field.

Hood ran for a career-high 138 yards on 12 carries, capped by a 29-yard run on the Tar Heels’ final possession. But he was pulled after the next play so he could catch his breath. He didn’t return until fourth-and-goal from the 8.

“We were in a hurry-up mode at that point,” Coach Larry Fedora said. “And we didn’t get him back into the game.”

Fedora said UNC can’t substitute during hurry-up mode, but the Tar Heels made two changes on the final set of downs — bringing in Romar Morris for Ryan Switzer on second-and-goal before Switzer came in for Morris on third-and-goal.

Before the third-and-goal play, Hood walked onto the field before running backs coach Larry Porter grabbed Hood’s jersey and pulled him back onto the sideline.

“I had thought I had been called in, but it turns out I just misheard that,” Hood said. “I think it was just the tempo we were running, and there was a certain play called in.”

Hood later entered the game on fourth-and-goal, when Marquise Williams threw an interception to end the scoring chance.

Although Hood didn’t get a carry on UNC’s final set of downs, he capitalized on the opportunities he did get. He ran for 118 yards in the second half, including a 44-yard gain in the third quarter.

“Any time you can run the ball down a team’s throat, it’s demoralizing for the team and it pumps the guys up,” said redshirt senior linebacker Jeff Schoettmer. “When we have a running back like Elijah that refuses to go down, it’s fun to see.”

The Tar Heels haven’t involved their running backs as much the past two seasons and have stuck to a running-back-by-committee approach.

But despite Hood not being in the game down the stretch, Fedora said UNC could rely on one tailback this season. Perhaps, it could be Hood.

“If he’s healthy, running well and productive, then we need to get the ball to him more,” Fedora said. “There’s no doubt.”

@patjames24