Larry Fedora keeps Mitch Trubisky guessing

UNC Spring game
UNC Spring game

Just three series into North Carolina’s 53-14 victory over North Carolina A&T on Saturday, Coach Larry Fedora called on redshirt sophomore quarterback Mitch Trubisky to spell senior starter Marquise Williams — a plan unbeknownst to either player.

“I wanted to get (Trubisky) in early, I wanted him to get some meaningful reps,” Fedora said.

“And I didn’t want to tell him that he was going, so that if the situation happens like that in the season, he’s prepared and ready to go.”

Trubisky took the field for two handoffs, before Williams reclaimed quarterback duties for the following drive.

One series later, the clipboard once again switched hands.

“I think he’s just trying to keep me on my toes,” Trubisky said. “Maybe testing me in a way, just keeping me ready. I think he knows I can handle it.”

In his second series, Trubisky capped a red-zone drive with a 2-yard toss to tight end Brandon Fritts, the first catch of his career. The next drive, Williams marched 68 yards down the field, finishing with a goal-line lob to Fritts — Trubisky’s former high school teammate.

On the opening drive of the third quarter, Williams dashed 18 yards on a quarterback keeper for his first rushing touchdown of the year. Two series later, Trubisky notched his first career rushing touchdown with a 35-yard scamper on a read-option run.

It was official — the quarterback competition was in full effect.

Or was it?

“It felt different, actually,” Trubisky said.

“I don’t know what it was that it felt different, but (it was) more supportive of each other and whoever was going in was going to make plays. It definitely didn’t feel like last year.”

Perhaps there was no controversy after all. Despite Williams’ poor play against South Carolina a week ago, surely the decision to insert Trubisky was born from spontaneity, spurred by an early advantage in a runaway affair.

It had to be, right?

“I had already made up my mind that I was going to do it,” Fedora said. “But nobody else knew it.”

The conversation with each quarterback was quick and unceremonious. While Trubisky embraced the opportunity with excitement, Williams’ response was more subdued.

“Honestly, I wasn’t surprised,” he said. “He has to get a feel of the game. It’s a brand new year.”

But with the re-emergence of the quarterback carousel, the new season conjures faint feelings of deja vu.

Is the two-quarterback system back?

“Oh, I don’t know,” said Fedora with a sly grin. “Marquise is the starter and he’s playing well, and we’ll just see. I don’t know.”

Neither does Trubisky, who knows to expect the unexpected from his crafty head coach.

“I’m trying not to let anything take me by surprise,” Trubisky said. “Just always be ready, always be prepared.”

@CJacksonCowart