UNC football coach Fedora stands by quarterback Marquise Williams

UNC football game v. Delaware: Quarterback Mitch Trubinsky (10) turns up field on a scramble play

In the two days following North Carolina’s 41-14 victory over Delaware, one question kept popping up in the minds of fans and media members: Who would be UNC’s starting quarterback on Saturday at Georgia Tech?

But after taking the podium for his weekly press conference Monday, head coach Larry Fedora wasted no time providing an answer .

“Let me go ahead and address the quarterback issue so we don’t have to answer 78 questions,” Fedora said to open the press conference. “Marquise Williams is our starter.”

Williams, a fifth-year senior, was pulled in the second quarter of Saturday’s game in favor of redshirt sophomore Mitch Trubisky. In relief of Williams, Trubisky tossed more touchdowns than incompletions and put up 351 total yards of offense.

While Trubisky’s performance was good enough to earn him ACC Offensive Back of the Week honors, Fedora made it clear there would be no controversy going forward.

“There is no can of worms to open,” he said. “I don’t know how to make it any more clear to y’all.”

In 2014, Williams set 18 school records, including the mark for total yards of offense in a season with 3,856. In the matchup with the Yellow Jackets a season ago, he had arguably the best outing of his career, throwing for 390 yards and four scores in a 48-43 win.

But is Williams’ confidence shaken up after sitting out the second half of Saturday’s game? Not according to his teammates.

“’Quise is a veteran, he’s experienced, he knows how to approach each game,” redshirt senior guard Landon Turner said. “He’s going to prepare as hard as he has for any other game, and I’m expecting big numbers out of him.”

Regardless, the possibility Trubisky could still see playing time remains. Fedora said the backup quarterback’s potential snaps this Saturday and for the rest of the season will be dictated by the flow of the game.

The redshirt sophomore’s coaches and teammates know he will be prepared if he sees more of the field.

“Mitch is a great talent, and he showed us that this week,” redshirt senior linebacker Jeff Schoettmer said. “Whoever’s in the game, I fully expect them to lead our offense down and put points on the board.”

But for now, the reins are still in Williams’ hands. And despite a couple of rough weeks to open this season — including a three-interception performance against South Carolina — he has shown the ability to change the course of a game almost single-handedly.

Fedora expects nothing less when UNC takes the field on Saturday.

“When he’s playing carefree, he’s a dang good football player,” he said. “He knows that I have complete confidence in him.”

@jbo_vernon