Moe’s to open on Franklin in November

What used to be Caribou Coffee will soon transform into Moe’s Southwest Grill — known for its made-to-order Southwest food.

Owen Gwyn, the owner of the 110 W. Franklin St. location, said it was important for him to identify a business that could be enjoyed by students and residents.

“Customers can place a small, inexpensive order or request a complete meal and receive quality food, delivered fresh, and available on a college student’s budget,” Gwyn said.

Jennifer Wade, the new owner of the Moe’s franchise on Franklin, has been in the restaurant business for 19 years and started as a Moe’s franchisee 11 years ago.

“We absolutely love Chapel Hill — we love the town and college and Franklin Street,” she said. “When the opportunity arose to become a franchise out here, we took it immediately.”

She opened her first two locations in Raleigh — one at Crabtree Valley Mall and another at Triangle Town Center.

The Moe’s will join five other restuarants serving similar food in downtown Chapel Hill — Cosmic Cantina, Los Potrillos, Lime Fresh Mexican Grill, Chipotle and Bandido’s Mexican Cafe.

UNC senior Kayce Stutzman said Moe’s is her favorite Mexican restaurant, but worries students may not want the addition.

“Franklin Street already has two Mexican restaurants with Banditos and Chipotle,” Stutzman said.

“Students may not respond well to a third Mexican restaurant, especially one that is similar to Qdoba.”

UNC senior Darrell Hawks said he thinks there’s too much Tex-Mex on Franklin Street.

“I think they’re okay,” Hawks said. “I prefer Cosmic Cantina or Banditos.”

Wade said they have just started construction, but because the building is from 1937 and is extremely old, they need to redo everything.

“It used to be a pure oil station, to a gas station, to a Pizza Hut, to Caribou,” she said.

“We’ve come in and we’re really getting in and redoing the entire building. We’re making it 2015.”

Moe’s stands for Music, Outlaws and Entertainers, which is the fun concept and atmosphere that drew Wade to the business. She also said the high quality food was another huge draw.

“We have no microwaves and no freezer,” she said. “We make homemade guacamole, homemade pico de gallo and we grill our chicken to order.”

She said students will love the restaurant because they’ll come in and get their money’s worth.

Gwyn said he thinks he’s found a perfect fit with Wade’s operation.

“I truly believe that (Wade’s) concept will be well received in Chapel Hill for years and years to come,” Gwyn said.

Wade said she hopes to open in early November.

@kerrrybear