Opinion: Embody Carolina‘s great work at UNC should be praised

UNC’s lifetime fitness requirement is a hindrance to students but serves as a productive way to raise awareness among students about the dangers of unhealthy eating and lack of exercise.

But LFIT isn’t perfect, and Embody Carolina should be praised and emulated in the way its members have critiqued the class and worked to make it better without compromising the organization’s core message.

It is always important to teach about health issues and about eating healthy foods. However, for some, learning about these topics does not lead to healthier decisions; it leads to even worse habits.

Currently, many college students have disordered eating habits or eating disorders. These habits develop due to the pressures our society places on having an “ideal image.”

So while LFIT exists for a good purpose, the course’s emphasis in one section on calorie-counting might have unintentionally stigmatized students.

That is where Embody Carolina stepped in. It created a sensitivity training program that seeks to give instructors the resources they need to do their job without the fear of creating a larger problem.

In addition, Embody Carolina has also produced commendable public campaigns designed to promote its message, like the appearance of the Southern Smash event at UNC.

Embody Carolina has helped make LFIT a place where students feel motivated to become healthier, both in their eating and exercise habits.

Others should take note of Embody Carolina’s successful reforms and strategies.