Pace leads UNC women’s soccer team to ACC win

Goals from redshirt senior Alexa Newfield and first-year Dorian Bailey were both set up from over-the-top passes as UNC (9-0-1, 2-0-0 ACC) put pressure on the Syracuse (4-6-1, 0-2-0 ACC) back line by sending people through behind and along the wings throughout the first half.

That relentless attack, coupled with the speed of UNC’s back line led to a 12-1 shot differential between the two teams in the first half and a 2-0 lead for the Tar Heels.

“The first half was fantastic,” Coach Anson Dorrance said. “We were pinging it, playing one-touch two-touch and we played very, very well.”

UNC’s pace of play was part of the more balanced plan on direct and indirect play Dorrance desires. It proved especially effective against Syracuse, which struggled at times to contain the athleticism of UNC.

“Some of the opponents (UNC) had watched against Syracuse took their time building an attack (and) it took them a long time to score when doing that,” Newfield said. “So we talked about a quick attack in and trying to get behind the defense fast.”

Newfield’s speed set up her opening goal, when she ran behind the Orange backline, took a touch and shot for the bottom right corner right past the outstretched keeper.

UNC used mass substitutions to continue the pace throughout the first half.

“I think we have an incredibly deep team,” Dorrance said. “I trust my team down to the 22nd player.”

Sophomore Jessie Scarpa, who contributed a headed goal and an assist, said the depth is especially helpful in the front line.

“We have seven players that play in the front and all of us have the ability to score and set each other up,” Scarpa said.

After exchanging scores, a heavy rain in the second half made for a sloppier game. Dorrance said UNC lacked the composure it possessed in the first half.

“The rain causes a player that doesn’t have extraordinary confidence to be just a little less sure of herself,” he said. “So I think the rain factored into some of our lack of composure.”

UNC’s pace, particularly in the first half, is something the team hopes will carry over as it continues conference play.

“We certainly don’t want to use that as our only weapon,” Dorrance said. “But I think when you’ve got the sort of athletes we have, the direct ball has to be an option.”

@sjdoughton