Record-setting performances by Quinshad Davis, Ryan Switzer carry UNC to victory

Elijah Hood scores a touchdown on a 28 yard run on Saturday Sept. 19

For the past two seasons, both have given headaches to opponents and both have mastered their craft. And in Saturday’s 48-14 victory over Illinois, both set school records.

Davis grabbed his 22nd career touchdown reception, passing Hakeem Nicks for most all-time in UNC history, while Switzer tallied 168 punt return yards to break a single-game record that stood for over 60 years.

Davis’ moment came midway through the second quarter. Senior quarterback Marquise Williams zipped a 9-yard pass to the senior on a quick slant. With the score, Davis broke his 294-day tie with Nicks.

After the touchdown, Davis immediately searched for his mother along the sideline to give her the record-breaking football, which will be put in a trophy case and out of his mind.

“Everyone was talking about it,” Davis said. “‘Q, you need to go ahead and break the record. Q, you need to do this and do that.’ But I’m glad that I finally got it off my chest.”

But Coach Larry Fedora knows breaking the record was never Davis’ main focus.

“Quinshad Davis is the epitome of a team guy...” Fedora said. “His number one thing is to win football games.”

Against the Illini, Davis led the team with five receptions and 56 receiving yards, in addition to his historic score. His friend Switzer believes the record was long overdue.

“(He’s) one of the best receivers to come through here,” Switzer said. “I’m happy for him and I’m happy for not only me, but the punt return team that we got back on track today.”

Switzer was happy for a reason. Early in the second quarter, he gathered a punt, darted to his right and scooted 71 yards down the sideline. Later in the game, the junior sprinted 85 yards to the end zone, obtaining the yardage record and his sixth career punt return touchdown.

The previous record was set in 1951 by Bud Carson, who had eight returns for 166 yards against N.C. State. But Switzer wasn’t aware he set the record until reporters told him during interviews.

“Solid, all right,” Switzer snickered after learning he set the record. “1951? That’s a long time. I wish I did know (Carson). I’ll have to do my homework a little bit.”

The 85-yard score was Switzer’s first return touchdown since the Belk Bowl against Cincinnati in 2013. Fedora said the junior has been frustrated, but added that he received several opportunities on Saturday.

Similar to Switzer, Davis wasn’t aware of the punt return yardage record. But he was more shocked that his friend hadn’t broken it already.

“For Switzer, I bet that’s been a long time coming,” said Davis with a grin. “Over the past couple years, he’s been amazing on punt returns.”

Davis said UNC has talent across the field and that it was on full display against the Illini. But to summarize the rewriting of history, the receiver could only offer a simple response.

“It’s always great to break a record,” he said.

And on Saturday, the Tar Heels got two for the price of one game.

@BenColey15