Rumors turns two, celebrates at the Library

Rumors Boutique is having its two-year anniversary at the local bar, The Library, on Franklin Street this Saturday.

The boutique was founded in 2007 by Casey Longyear and Marshe Wyche; the Chapel Hill location opened at 106 N. Graham St. in September 2013.

The boutique operates as a thrift store, where people can bring in clothing items to donate or sell. Once Rumors employees receive the items, they assess them and then decide which items they want to buy. Customers receive 35 percent cash or 55 percent store credit of their items’ value. They also take donations and give them to PTA Thrift Shop.

But for their second anniversary, the thrift store decided to appeal to a different community — UNC students. Because of its convenient location, the party aims to promote the boutique and its upcoming fall line to students, especially first-years who may be unaware of the store.

Zuri Adimu, a Rumors employee, credited a majority of the collaboration with The Library to event planner Charmy Bhanderi.

“The current generation is a remix generation where we blend different aspects together in an innovative way, which in this case is fashion and nightlife,” Bhanderi said in an email.

“It is a night to appreciate the fusion of fashion and nightlife in an electric ambiance.”

The 18-and-up event will feature a live disc jockey. Rumors employees will be raffling off gift cards and giving away 10 percent-off coupons to customers with drinks in their hands.

Adimu said the thrift boutique has clothing that appeals to everyone, making it a favorite for UNC students.

“Anybody could come in and put together an outfit and feel like, ‘I love this outfit — this outfit is me,’” she said.

Rumors has seen a lot of support from UNC students and the Chapel Hill community throughout the past two years. The variety of styles and low prices draw people into the boutique.

“It’s low-cost, but it also has a very unique, funky style that is kind of a mix between modern and vintage,” said Rachel Hopkins, a customer from Durham Academy.

Customers also enjoy shopping at Rumors because they can reflect on the story of the clothes and who wore them previously. Some customers also feel like they are giving back by donating.

“Just the fact that somebody else could go and wear them when I donate — I think that’s really cool instead of throwing them away,” said Caroline Inman, a recent UNC graduate.

Employees are excited for the party to showcase the store’s new fall fashions — for many, fall is their favorite season.

Adimu also said Chapel Hill students can expect various styles from their fall line, but warns that there will be a smaller amount of clothes during fall, as opposed to summer.

She said because these clothes are bulkier, Rumors has to be more selective in choosing which clothes to display.

Rumors employee Shannon Kelly said the variety of options and the continued support are reflective of the community it serves.

“It’s very inviting to the artistic community and everything else; we try to have things that will appeal to everyone.”

@hotbeansmorganarts@dailytarheel.com