Summer Reading songs and spoken word inspire attending students

For once, the Pit was silent. All that was heard were words of hidden voices.

A crowd of students gathered in the Pit on Monday night as the Songs in the Key of Justice performers moved from the Frank Porter Graham Student Union auditorium to share their art with a broader audience. 

The event, scheduled as part of a series related to the freshman summer reading program, consisted of performances by John Flynn, a singer-songwriter whose songs deal with social justice and political messages, and actors from Hidden Voices, a nonprofit organization based in Cedar Grove devoted to connecting communities through spoken word. 

Before the event, Flynn had high hopes for how students would react to his music.

“I write songs that deal with what I’m experiencing, how I’m wrestling with the questions in my life — the things that I’m trying to get my head around and my heart around,” Flynn said.

“I want to reach anyone who is in the room. How they react isn’t as important as that they react," he said. "I’d love it if the songs touched somebody enough that they ask a question or share a feeling.”

After Flynn’s opening songs, actors from Hidden Voices performed dramatic readings of a series of six pieces written by men sentenced to die in prison, sparking the emotion Flynn hoped for.

Freshman Imani Burwell felt a personal connection during the performance. 

“I think the monologues were actually true because my brother just got out from being incarcerated, so I connected on a different level," Burwell said. "I knew what they were talking about since he has told me personally.” 

Freshman David Ojeda also thought the performances were powerful. 

"I thought that it was very profound and definitely had a strong message about the justice system in America," Ojeda said. "It brings a certain awareness (to UNC) that I think is important for every student to have.”

Jade Arnold, a Durham-based actor working with Hidden Voices, took his work to heart and connected emotionally with the pieces he performed. 

“The weight of what you’re saying in these monologues really begins to take effect on you,” Arnold said. “You’re no longer thinking about what you’re saying as opposed to just trying to manage what you’re feeling.”

Junior Matt Newman was drawn in by the show in the Pit and was impressed by Flynn’s songwriting. 

“I like that he writes original music about important topics,” Newman said. “I just stumbled upon this on the way back from the gym.”

Kathy Williams, dramatic arts professor and coordinator of the show, was the link between Hidden Voices and the summer reading program. 

“The interesting thing about the work that we do is that you go where the people are,” Williams said. "It helps people connect and engage with it in a way that they really weren’t looking for."

She was pleased with the performance and was glad to see students actively respond to what they saw.

“To see people stop because of the content was a beautiful, beautiful surprise,” she said. “It was definitely a success.”

@just_in_kacey