On Aug. 26, Tinder released data on the “hottest” colleges and universities — UNC guys were rated number 10 on the list of “Campuses with Most Swiped-Right Males.”

The list of rankings was based on the ratio of right swipes — which indicates interest — received by students attending each university on the dating app Tinder.

Tinder has seen increased popularity at college campuses across the country. The ease of swiping left and right based on profiles has led to both matchmaking heaven and disaster among millennials.

“For Tinder, it’s on your phone, it’s accessible and, usually if there’s an app for it, it’s deemed cool,” said Jessica Trujillo, a junior psychology major. “I think social media and smartphones are universal things for our age group in the U.S.”

According to Trujillo, UNC women may not have made it onto the list for “Campuses with Most Swiped-Right Females” because women often don’t use Tinder seriously.

“We use it as a joke,” she said. “I’d say guys are less likely to swipe left just because they’re on a mission.”

Senior political science major Julissa Garcia said the stakes aren’t that serious — Tinder is just for fun.

“I think it’s also the atmosphere of UNC,” Garcia said. “People tend to swipe right just because they can and it’s not frowned upon.”

Grant Broussard, a sophomore biology major, said although he doesn’t have a Tinder, he thinks that appearances most likely play a big role on the app.

“I see people posting all the time, ‘If you have a dog, then I’m totally swiping right. If you’re in a group of 60 people and I can’t tell which one you are, then I’m not swiping right.’”

Garcia explained that many times girls have idealistic expectations of UNC guys.

“I think in our minds when we picture college boys, we picture white, tall, blue-eyed athletes, and at UNC we see a lot of them.”

Jacob Vosburgh, a Tinder-less sophomore computer science major, agrees that the app should not to be taken seriously.

“By definition, Tinder is shallow. I guess we are a superficially attractive school.” 

CAMPUS OPINIONS

Matt Wotus  

“If you want to find a specific type of guy here, the odds are that you’ll probably be able to.”

Aaron Wrisbon 

“UNC is a popular school. We have a lot of athletes — a lot of people here are, like, really strict about keeping fit and stuff.”

Megan Foxworth

“I feel like what’s associated with this University is that people are liberal and sort of open and slightly more creative.” 

Michael Perry 

“I feel like guys at UNC are pretty intellectual and we just know what we want.” 

Anis El Marzouki 

“I feel like most guys that go to UNC have a lot of confidence. I guess attending UNC gives

you that, not cocky but confident, demeanor about yourself.”