UNC quarterback Mitch Trubisky answers the call

UNC football won against Delaware with a score of 41 to 14 on Saturday afternoon in Kenan Stadium.

After being thrown into a trying quarterback battle as a redshirt first-year in 2014, Trubisky showed flashes of excellence with the North Carolina football team entering the season.

But in the end, Marquise Williams won the starting spot.

Since being named the backup quarterback, Trubisky has played sparingly. But the redshirt sophomore knew his name could be called at any minute.

After a sloppy start offensively in UNC’s 41-14 win over Delaware on Saturday, the backup got the nod.

“I got on the phone with my offensive coordinator, and he said, ‘You’re on,’” Trubisky said.

But even after playing one drive in the first half and a majority of the second, Trubisky didn’t know how much action he would get. Not knowing which series would be his last, Trubisky said he focused on making the most of each one.

The coaches noticed and let Trubisky lead the charge the rest of the way.

“We put Mitch in, and Mitch ran the offense well,” Coach Larry Fedora said. “So I decided to leave him in.”

When the change was made at quarterback, the rest of the offense didn’t miss a step. So much so that some players didn’t even notice.

“I don’t know when the switch happened,” said wide receiver Ryan Switzer. “You look up and there’s a different guy at quarterback.”

Trubisky’s chemistry with his teammates came down to the reps he gets during practice.

While many teams will practice the starting quarterback primarily with the first string, Fedora has taken a unique approach.

“We’re a little bit different because we’re about 55-45 (percent) practice-wise,” Fedora said. “It’s not uncommon for (Trubisky) to go in with the ones.”

And Trubisky’s experience practicing with the starters also allows the quarterback to further develop as a player.

“The more live reps he gets, whether it’s in a game or in practice, the better he is going to be prepared when his number is called,” Switzer said.

When that moment came, Trubisky was ready.

The coaches gave him an opportunity against Delaware, and in return, he gave them 17 completions, four passing touchdowns and 351 total yards — which were all single-game career highs.

He even broke his personal record for longest completion on a 64-yard bomb to junior wide receiver Mack Hollins and set a single-game school record with a 282 pass efficiency rating.

For Trubisky, the trust his coaches and players showed in him gave him the assurance to shine.

“It helps me have confidence when my coaches have confidence in me,” Trubisky said. “It just allows me to play the game like I’ve always played the game.”

Even after the best game of Trubisky’s career, Fedora confirmed Williams — who left the game after being sacked for an 11-yard loss in the second quarter — is still the starter moving forward.

The redshirt sophomore’s performance on Saturday certainly raised questions among fans and media members, but the quarterback battle won’t be opened back up just yet.

But whether he competes for the starting spot this year or remains the backup quarterback, Trubisky will be ready when he’s turned to again.

He’ll be waiting for his next opportunity.

@_Brohammed