UNC volleyball loses 2nd-consecutive home match

The North Carolina volleyball team lost more than a match on Friday.

UNC (2-6) dropped its second consecutive home game when it lost to Michigan State 3-1 (25-15, 25-18, 23-25, 25-22) on Friday in Carmichael Arena. The defeat marks the first time the Tar Heels have lost consecutive home matches since the 2009 season.

Perhaps more important to the Tar Heels’ season, the team lost junior opposite hitter Hayley McCorkle to an Achilles injury.

“She (McCorkle) is our most consistent go-getter on the right side so losing her was huge for us,” said senior middle hitter Paige Neuenfeldt. “It sucks that she’s out for the whole season, and we really need people to step up now.”

The team adjusted after the injury. It won the third set without McCorkle before dropping a tight fourth set to conclude the match. The Tar Heels began the match sluggishly, falling behind by two sets. The Spartans’ powerful spikes proved too much to overcome for the North Carolina defense.

Senior setter Jordyn Schnabl said the team had numerous chances to improve, but failed to take advantage of them. 

“We lost a lot of opportunities to get better today,” she said.

There was one positive to emerge from an otherwise dismal game. Neuenfeldt shined for the Tar Heels, finishing with a team-high 14 kills. She powered North Carolina's offense in the final two sets.

Neuenfeldt said the Tar Heels need to consistently apply what they learn in practice during games to avoid future losses.

“It’s just, right now, tough for us because we’re having a hard time finding the people who want to consistently compete and play hard every single point that they’re out there,” she said. “We’re not taking the confidence of what we’re learning in practice into games right now.”

North Carolina will now have to refocus after the critical loss of one of its stars to keep the losing streak from ballooning to more than two games.

Quotable

“I think we need to play with more heart. This isn’t the team that played in preseason together, and I think we’re having a lot of trouble trusting each other — relying on more than one person on the court. So going into tomorrow we need everybody to show up, including myself.” — Schnabl on team chemistry.

Notable

Schnabl assisted on half of North Carolina’s kills. She helped the Tar Heels to 46 kills on 23 assists.

Three numbers that matter

49: Kills by McCorkle this season, which ranks third on the team.

.288: Michigan State's hitting percentage on Friday. North Carolina managed a .207 hitting percentage.

69: Successful digs by Michigan State compared to UNC's 54.

What’s next?

North Carolina plays No. 20 Michigan in Carmichael Arena on Saturday at 6:30 p.m. The match will mark the final game of UNC's four-game homestand. 

@kmercer94