‘All in the Timing’ offers comedic relief through vignettes

BOCC Meeting of Emergency Services
BOCC Meeting of Emergency Services

That’s exactly what Company Carolina, a student-run theater group, is hoping for. Its production of “All in the Timing,” which opens tonight at The ArtsCenter, promises comedic entertainment for everyone.

The show, written by short-form playwright David Ives, features six one-act plays. Although each play functions as a self-contained story, they are connected by a theme of missed connections.

Whether it’s a failed attempt at a first date, monkeys trying to type or composer Philip Glass in an existential crisis, every vignette exemplifies what goes wrong when the timing’s not right.

The director of the show, senior Noelle Wilson, said that when she set out to direct a play, “All in the Timing” drew her in almost immediately.

“Just the script on its own — I was laughing reading it,” said Wilson.

As a first-time director, Wilson said the show has provided an exciting learning opportunity. Directing a show is no laughing matter, but Wilson did her best to make it fun.

During auditions, Wilson asked the actors to perform an interpretive dance about their day.

“It was a very interesting audition process, but it was one of the most fun audition processes I’ve ever done,” said first-year Blake Benson, one of the show’s actors.

If the play itself is about life going wrong, the cast and crew exemplify life going the right way.

Since the start of rehearsals at the beginning of September, they have turned the words on the page into a full-blown production, complete with original costumes, lighting and sets.

“My cast has been so great,” Wilson said. “They all bring so much energy and enthusiasm, and they inspire me and give me ideas.”

As stage manager, senior Amy Whitesell serves as a liaison between the actors and directive staff. Whitesell and Wilson first met in a play together as first-year students at UNC.

“We’re not really afraid to tell each other when we’re not doing the right thing,” Whitesell said.

The group has also been a place where new students are able to find their niche. In addition to solidifying old friendships, new ones have formed — all in the timing of the production weeks.

“It’s fun to meet people who share a similar interest,” said first-year student and actor Zavier Taylor.

Benson agreed, saying the group has become a tightly-knit family.

“Theater doesn’t always have to be incredibly artsy or super introspective,” said Benson.

“Sometimes you just want to laugh, and this is a great way to do that.”

@ecperry17