Couple-less Carrboro: Town named No. 1 city for single people

Carrboro, look out. There are singles in your area.

Livability.com, a site dedicated to researching the best qualities of small-to-medium sized cities, has declared Carrboro the best city for single people in the United States in 2015.

According to the site’s editor, Matt Carmichael, the rankings were determined by a combination of electronic data and personal opinion.

“We used data that helped us create a short list — things like number of singles in the area, of young people in the area, of attractions where you can meet people at karaoke bars and stuff like that,” Carmichael said.

“Then, we used that short list to create the top 10 and made sure we were getting good national representation.”

“The students should take comfort knowing that they’re a good part of the ranking,” he said.   

We asked local residents what they thought about this ranking.

Barbara Brister, Carrboro resident

“I think that that’s probably based largely on having a lot of venues that attract younger people, and it is a good place for single people.” 

Katie Rowe and Sean Armbruster, Carrboro residents  

“It’s really funny that that was found. We always tell people we’re glad we moved here together because we wouldn’t want to be in this little town single.” 

Bruce Thomas

“I would go along with that, because Carrboro is conscious like that, I would say.” 

Gladys Means

“I think that’s great. Carrboro’s just a wonderful little city where you can meet and know a lot of people. Plus it’s a nice liberal city here nestled in a state that’s very conservative.” 

Shari Goldstein

“I have no idea. I don’t know why they rated it.”