The UNC-system Board of Governors will name Tom Ross' successor at a meeting on Friday.
Here's what you need to know:
1. The UNC-system Board of Governors is set to name on Friday the new system president to replace Tom Ross, who was made to resign in January. The election will take place in open session.
2. Many say Margaret Spellings, former President George W. Bush's secretary of education, will be the pick. N.C. Policy watch reported Spellings was at Friday's board meeting.
3. Several people, including board members, have called for board Chairperson John Fennebresque to resign from his position due to controversial handling of the presidential search
4. The N.C. General Assembly passed a bill that would require the full board to consider at least three final candidates for system president. Gov. Pat McCrory has yet to sign the bill.
5. Students and faculty across the system have expressed frustration at being left out of the Board of Governors' president search. The lack of transparency has also come under fire.
To get the day's news and headlines in your inbox each morning, sign up for our email newsletters.