Found Footage Festival’s doctored VHS tapes bring the laughs

Using videos collected from garage sales, thrift stores, warehouses and dumpsters, the Found Footage Festival curators Nick Prueher and Joe Pickett introduced these memories and more through unintentionally funny clips.

This comedy tour visited UNC Thursday night in the Student Union.

The festival was first brought to the Carolina Union Activities Board’s attention when junior Jesus Barreto, vice president of programming, attended last summer’s National Association for Campus Activities conference.

“They have really good credentials,” he said. “They have been on Jimmy Kimmel Live, Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, HBO Comedy Arts Festival and the New York Comedy Festival. Not only do they have these credentials, but when we saw them they were really funny, just super hilarious.”

Prueher and Pickett began collecting VHS tapes in 1991. Since 2004, the duo have been on tours with the festival.

“A lot of college students came to our shows that were just for the general public and because of that, a lot of people on student activity (event planners) thought, ‘Hey, students would love this,’” said Prueher.

Although it has been two years since CUAB sponsored the Carolina Comedy Festival, they have a history of bringing in accredited comedy groups.

“Last year, we brought in the Upright Citizens Brigade, which is the comedy group that Amy Poehler came out of,” Barreto said. “The Found Footage Festival is definitely along the same size as the stuff that we did last year.”

A highlight of the night was the “show stopper” footage from a public access animal call-in advice TV show called “Petpourri,” made in the ’90s.

“So he is answering calls but there is a ferret, a chinchilla, a turtle and (an) iguana on one table together. And they are falling off the table, biting each other, it’s just chaos,” said Pruether. “And you just can’t look away. It might be the most entertaining shows I’ve ever seen.”

CUAB hoped the event appealed to the entire student body and acted as a stress reliever for students.

“Right now we know it’s heavy midterm season, so we want to provide some laughs,” said Barreto.

For first-year Jana Gladman, CUAB met their goal.

“I loved it,” she said. “It was better than I thought it would be. Magical rainbow holds a special place in my heart. I would buy one.”

Junior Gefen Kusin-Kline appreciated the unique style of the show. “I like weird videos like that so seeing it live was a really interactive experience,” he said.