Local author writes self-help book from Facebook posts

Local author Aruna Gurumurthy was pursuing a medical career, but eventually found her true calling with a pen in her hand, prompting her to write the inspiring self-help book, "DIYA: A Megawatt Approach to Change," which was released Sept. 25.  

Taken from her own transitional experience from adolescence to adulthood, Gurumurthy's first publication focuses on the power of change that all individuals have the opportunity to evoke everyday. As a constant witness to the injustice and discrimination in the world, Gurumurthy's book emphasizes the importance of learning not only from life, but also from other people.

Gurumurthy said self-improvement can be difficult. 

“People talk about changing themselves for good and treating people well, but when it comes to the execution part, it falls short and people don’t achieve what they wanted to," she said. 

Gurumurthy also said small actions can have larger-scale consequences.

“Sometimes what people say confuse you, and bad things in the world happen to you, and to your friends and to your community," she said. "In my experience from how people spoke to me, I noticed the lack of respect that transfers to the larger realm of community, countries and the world."

Written in the span of four months and deriving from 300 or more Facebook posts Gurumurthy wrote, her book transcends the past, present and future, reminding readers they are uniquely different and have the profound possibility to make a difference.

Gurumurthy will be giving a talk at Bull's Head Bookshop on Nov. 11. 

“I’m excited to have it, and the author’s excitement is contagious," said Stacie Smith, manager of Bull's Head Bookshop. 

Students will also be able to purchase "DIYA" by the end of the week.

“Im excited about the opportunity to buy the book and meet the author next month,” sophomore Meredith Padgett said. 

The book serves as a self-esteem booster and teaches many inspirational lessons, advising readers not to be influenced by an abundance of negativity — a value which Gurumurthy has applied to her own life.

“I decided to make a change in the way I would react to how people executed comments and reactions towards me, and I decided to say, ‘I’m not going to get bothered by this anymore,'" she said. "Over a course of time I have changed. I’m no longer affected, no longer angry, I no longer cry or become upset with what people say to me.”

"DIYA" teaches the importance of keeping your glass half full.

“Challenges come and go out of life," she said. "I feel like if you want to do something in your life, and you have good will and energy, just go for it — don’t expect 100 percent back. There will be twists and turns, but keep going."

Gurumurthy's book encourages the process of evoking positive change in people, the community and the world, but most importantly in one's self.

“You may have an ambition, but if life urges you to take plan B, you can do a lot with positive energy and outlook on life and remember to live life to every minute and every second," she said.

"I can guarantee you will end up in situation where you are happy.”

@Tew_Elissa