Mack Hollins: ‘A different type of human being’

Wide receiver Mack Hollins (13) runs toward the end zone for a touchdown off of a 64 yard pass from Mitch Trubisky. 

Reporters simultaneously encircle quarterback Marquise Williams, badgering him with questions about his benching in Saturday’s win over Delaware. Hollins, unfazed and unwatched, proceeds to the JUGS machine. Practice isn’t over yet.

Standing still with his helmet on, Hollins whips his hands, shoulders and head up, down and side to side to snag balls as they fire out of the machine.

The drill is simple and unflashy. But it’s one of the main reasons why the former walk-on and special teams player established himself as a receiving threat for the Tar Heels in 2014, and also continues impressing coaches and teammates as a junior.

“Before I was a big name or whatever you want to call it, I was on the ball machine every day,” he says. “You can’t forget about where you come from. If I stop doing that, then I’ll stop performing on the field. I have to work just as hard, or harder really, than I did last year.”

After joining the team as a walk-on prior to the 2012 season and redshirting, Hollins was named UNC’s special teams captain in 2013. “No. 13 is over there,” they’d say, pointing at Hollins when the Tar Heels lined up.

A challenge? Yes. But he embraced it and wanted more. He took to the JUGS machine and the practice field, searching to transition from relatively unknown to reliable receiver.

The hard work paid its dividends. Hollins’ team-best eight touchdowns in 2014 garnered him honorable mention All-ACC accolades. But it also has drawn the attention of opposing defenses.

A consistent target on special teams, the 6-foot-4, 210-pound receiver now hears his number called on offense.

“They’re giving me that respect, I guess, of the deep threat, which is always a good challenge,” he says with a broad smile.

Through UNC’s first three games this season, Hollins was held to only three catches for 32 yards and no scores. But on Saturday against Delaware, he finally broke through, hauling in three passes for 100 yards and two touchdowns.

“He had an unbelievable week of practice last week, and he scores two touchdowns,” Coach Larry Fedora said. “There’s obviously a correlation of how you practice and how you play.”

But the chip on Hollins’ shoulder still remains. He knows the life of a walk-on and special teams mainstay.

Even after proving himself time and time again, his only focus is to one-up his most recent performance. Every deep ball has to be caught, he says, and each one needs to be scored on.

“He’s a different breed of human being, and we all love him for that,” said redshirt senior guard Landon Turner. “He definitely brings a lot of energy to practice. I think he has the most juice out of us all. He’s kind of like the Energizer Bunny.”

“He definitely has continued to work hard, and he’s the last person I think would be fazed by any external pressure.”

So there No. 13 stands on Navy Field, the sun setting over the trees. As two straggling reporters walk away, he sprints down the field and catches passes from third-string quarterback Caleb Henderson.

Practice is over, but Mack Hollins isn’t done yet.

@patjames24