Malik Simmons is the next man up for UNC football

Cliched, sure. Contrived, perhaps. But to North Carolina cornerback Malik Simmons, the age-old adages couldn’t ring truer.

“Oh, it’s real,” he said. “Any second, during the game, during the week — it’s as real as it gets.”

For Simmons, reality set in before the season started.

With a strong showing in the spring, the senior set his sights on a starting spot in the secondary. But two misdemeanor charges in July kept Simmons sidelined for the Tar Heels’ first two games of 2015.

After serving his suspension, he returned to the field — but the next man up assumed his place.

“I definitely missed the game,” Simmons said. “Being on suspension and being benched, I definitely missed it.”

But the senior prepared for the unexpected and practiced like a starter, even from the second-unit. Any second, during the game, during the week — his number could be called.

Just two days before UNC’s 50-14 win over Wake Forest, two cornerbacks — sophomore M.J. Stewart and first-year Mike Hughes — were suspended indefinitely following misdemeanor assault charges.

Without Stewart, the team leader in interceptions and passes defensed, the short-handed Tar Heels were in dire need of a starting corner.

Simmons was the next man up.

“It didn’t bother him at all,” defensive backs coach Charlton Warren said. “It wasn’t like he was shocked, surprised. It wasn’t too big for him.”

The senior slotted into the starting cornerback role against the Demon Deacons, recording his first two solo tackles and his lone pass breakup of the season.

But operating from his former post, Simmons shined beyond the stat sheet.

“His box score was modest, but so was the guy he was guarding,” Warren said. “When he’s pressed against a guy all night long and that guy catches two balls, you’ve had a pretty good night.”

Simmons’ contributions extended beyond the defense, as his ever-excellent special teams play was evident.

“He’s done a great job. He’s still playing in every game,” head Coach Larry Fedora said.

“He’s been on all our special teams, he’s a starter on special teams. He’s a contributor to this football team.”

Like Simmons before, UNC’s two suspended cornerbacks will get a second chance to reclaim their prior roles. Hughes was reinstated Wednesday and will play Saturday against Virginia, while Stewart is slated to return Thursday against Pittsburgh. As for his own role in the secondary, Simmons is unsure how his play Saturday will impact his future. But in Warren’s defense — which prides performance over precedent — a starter’s mentality in practice could elevate the senior to his previous position.

“Every game of the season, the guys that start are the guys that do the best work that week in practice,” Warren said.

“Everybody understands the system, so put a guy in and let him go.”

Next man up.

@CJacksonCowart