Led by N.C. Supreme Court Chief Justice Mark Martin, the new North Carolina Commission on the Administration of Law and Justice plans to review court systems in all 100 counties to improve court processes.

And according to Jim Woodall, district attorney for Chatham and Orange counties, reform to the state’s court system is long overdue, especially technological reform.

“When you don’t have the resources you need, it’s very difficult to deliver justice consistently,” he said.

Edward Hinson Jr., an attorney on the N.C. Judicial Standards Commission — which addresses complaints about alleged judicial misconduct — said the justice’s new commission could update state court systems using outdated technology.

“They are looking into technology, its application in the courts, the future of legal services, how to enhance public trust and confidence — those are all areas I think need work,” he said.

Will Robinson, the executive director for the NCCALJ, said in an email that the commission aims to improve transparency and accessibility in the court system using online platforms, like electric filing, to conduct court business.

“Technology offers tremendous opportunities for improvement in court administrative processes,” Robinson said.

Beyond its technology branch, the NCCALJ contains four other committees: Public Trust and Confidence, Criminal Investigation and Adjudication, Legal Professionalism, and Civil Justice.

Catharine Arrowood, co-chairperson of the NCCALJ’s Legal Professionalism committee, said she is optimistic the N.C. General Assembly will be receptive to the 13 committee reports that will be presented in January 2017.

“I think there will be a dialogue about what can be accomplished, when it can be accomplished and where the money is to get it accomplished,” she said.

The NCCALJ is not the first commission of its kind.

Previous evaluations of courts include the Bell Commission in the 1950s and the Medlin Commissions in the 1990s. But Arrowood said the scope of the NCCALJ is larger and more comprehensive.

“At least compared to the Medlin Commission, I also think this commission has more non-lawyer citizens and legislators involved,” she said.

Woodall said this combination of inside and outside perspectives is a good mix.

“There are a lot of people there who know how the system works because they’ve worked in the system,” he said.

Jessica Smith, a professor at UNC’s School of Government, is one of these non-legislative voices. Smith, who serves as a reporter for the Criminal Investigation and Adjudication Committee, said she’s optimistic for the commission’s potential to inspire change after their first meeting Sept. 30.

“I wouldn’t have agreed to take the role on as reporter if I didn’t think that it could lead to meaningful change,” she said.

But after 30 years in the criminal justice system, Woodall said he is more concerned about the state’s leadership than the committee itself.

“What I’ve seen over and over again is that the state doesn’t have the will to have a first-rate judicial system.”

He said even if the commission produces reasonable proposals, the state legislature and governor might not implement these in productive ways.

“We’re not giving the judicial system what it needs to deliver justice. That’s what (the state government) should be concerned about — can we deliver justice day in and day out?”