Shakori Hills returns to build a better community

With the forecast finally calling for a beautiful, blue-sky weekend after more than a week without sun, it’s safe to say it’s a good weekend for camping and banjo music.

This weather couldn’t have come at a better time for Chatham County’s Shakori Hills GrassRoots Festival of Music & Dance, a four-day bluegrass music festival that started Thursday. More than 60 bands perform with grounds for dancing, crafting and even camping. 

Shakori Hills is now in its 12th year, formed after New Yorker Jeb Puryear was inspired by the success of his Finger Lakes Grassroots Festival in New York, now in its 25th year. 

“He decided to spread the love elsewhere, and thought Carrboro was the perfect place,” said festival co-coordinator Sara Waters. 

Waters said she agrees with Puryear’s view of the location, and she said she believes the scenic Chatham County campgrounds play a large role in attracting attendees.

“It’s a great getaway, but not too far from anything in the Triangle area," Waters said. "It’s the cheapest vacation out there."

Returning performers claim the festival’s unique atmosphere is what keeps them coming back for more.

“It has sort of a wild vibe, definitely different than other festivals I’ve been to,” said Nora Jane Struthers, who is performing at the festival for the second time — this time, with her band Nora Jane Struthers & the Party Line. “It feels like anything can happen.” 

Django Haskins, whose Chapel Hill-based band The Old Ceremony has been performing at the festival for the past decade, said the atmosphere is what makes the festival. 

“The land is beautiful and there’s a great community vibe, we love playing it,” Haskins said. 

Waters said she believes it's this sense of community that keeps attendees coming back, transforming the festival from an event to a tradition. 

“There’s an air of friendship here that’s great, with everyone helping each other pitch tents and get set up,” Waters said. “It’s a happy place.” 

Waters said the word gets out more and more each year. 

“It’s grown in a cool grassroots sort of way — people always come back and bring more and more friends,” Waters said.

This growing festival has captured the attention of notable bluegrass bands across the nation like Hot Rize, a Colorado-based band that has been around since the late 1970s. 

“We’ve heard through the grapevine it’s a really good festival,” said Hot Rize member Pete “Dr. Banjo” Werkins, who is performing at Shakori Hills for the first time this year. 

Werkins said he has been playing bluegrass festivals nationwide for the past 50 years, and was especially intrigued by the festival’s location and other musical performers. 

“Shakori Hills has a really neat, diverse line up that I’m looking forward to,” Werkins said.

No matter how many famous acts it gets, the festival wants to remain known for its beautiful backdrop and tight-knit community.

“You can camp with a chance to experience a lot of different music with others in one really beautiful space,” Haskins said. “And you can’t get that at a club.”

@yayjennic