Shelton Station construction in Carrboro finally underway

The development, planned for North Greensboro Street in Carrboro, was approved in 2013, but plans went dormant shortly after approval.

The project has been in the works since 2011.

Mark Moshier, principal of the Legacy Real Property Group, said the permits were issued by the town of Carrboro a couple weeks ago, and since then they have started clearing the property and doing site work.

Trish McGuire, planning director for the town of Carrboro, said this site work includes the construction of the erosion control pond.

Bethany Chaney, a member of the Board of Aldermen, said she is excited for the construction of Shelton Station.

Chaney said she thinks more housing units are needed near the commercial area and city center.

“This is going to be some really quality and needed and relatively dense rental housing right downtown,” Chaney said.

Chaney said Shelton Station will also provide more affordable housing options for Carrboro.

“What’s particularly impressive is that 20 percent of the units will be restricted for affordable housing — this was done voluntarily by the developer,” Chaney said.

“We’re really pleased to have affordable housing right downtown, where people can access public transportation. It’s a good use of this downtown property in terms of adding housing and commercial value to downtown.”

The development will include a four-story multi-family residential building and a two-story commercial building and will cost around $15 million.

There will be 94 residential units, 20 percent of which will be designated as affordable.

As for the commercial spaces in Shelton Station, Moshier said there is interest in leasing so far, though he said he could not identify interested buyers.

Chaney said she wanted Shelton Station built a year ago.

“It’s not unusual that there are delays like this — the permit process to get it through the town are long enough,” Chaney said.

“There are often unexpected things that happen during that process that cause delays.”

Moshier also said the delays were due to the long permit process.

“I think the delay was due to working with the town of Carrboro and the different folks like (Orange Water and Sewer Authority) and the (Department of Transportation) that needed to grant approvals,” Moshier said.

McGuire said modifications were made to the building plan, causing further delays in the process before construction.

There was a modification of the project in 2015 when the site plan was changed, then new permit applications were submitted.

“They identified some sides of the building that needed to be changed,” McGuire said.

@alexisa1025