UNC cornerbacks Mike Hughes, MJ Stewart to be reinstated

Six days removed from being suspended indefinitely from football-related activities due to a violation of team rules, North Carolina cornerbacks Mike Hughes and M.J. Stewart have a return in sight.

Coach Larry Fedora said Wednesday after practice that Hughes has officially been reinstated and will play in UNC's game against Virginia on Saturday. Fedora also said Stewart will be reinstated on Sunday and will play against Pittsburgh next Thursday.

"Based on everything I know at this time, it’s the appropriate action," said Fedora about his reason for lifting the suspensions.

Hughes, a first-year, and Stewart, a sophomore, were suspended this past Thursday due to an incident that occurred at the Alpha Tau Omega fraternity house at 303 E. Franklin St. on Oct. 4, according to arrest reports. 

Hughes is charged with a count of misdemeanor assault inflicting serious injury and is set to appear in court on Nov. 19. Stewart is charged with one count of misdemeanor assault and battery and is scheduled to appear in court on Thursday.

Both players sat out this past Saturday's game against Wake Forest. 

Fedora said the results of both court cases could "possibly" change the players' status. 

Hughes, a three-star recruit from New Bern, returned to practice on Wednesday. He has seen time on defense and special teams this season.  

Stewart's suspension marked his second since joining the Tar Heels. He missed the 2014 Liberty game because of a violation of team policy. He leads UNC with three interceptions this season.