Study abroad initiative sets sail at more than 350 colleges, universities

More than 350 American colleges and universities — including 10 North Carolina institutions — have committed to the Generation Study Abroad initiative.

The movement, launched in March 2014 by the Institute of International Education, aims to increase the 10 percent of American students who currently study abroad. 

“The overall goal of the initiative is to double the numbers of students studying abroad by the end of the decade,” said Wagaye Johannes, project director for Generation Study Abroad. 

While UNC is not currently a partner of the initiative, the University is considering its options, said Bob Miles, associate dean of Study Abroad and International Exchanges in the College of Arts and Sciences at UNC, in an email.  

“We have not yet formally signed up to support Generation Study Abroad because we are currently focused on ensuring that we have the resources available to allow us to meet those goals,” he said.

Miles said he suspects providing study abroad opportunities is a major priority for the University. 

“That commitment co-exists with significant resourcing challenges that are campus-wide,” he said.

Miles said 28 percent of Arts and Sciences students will have enrolled in at least one study abroad program by their graduation. The office is hoping to increase that number, specifically among historically underrepresented groups.

Johannes said studies show graduation rates are better for those who studied abroad, too.

“Students that may study abroad freshman or sophomore year come back more focused and more clear in their professional and personal goals,” she said.

She said study abroad experiences can benefit students in the long run, too. 

“One in five jobs here in the U.S. are linked to international trade, so we think having a study abroad experience is one of the best ways to acquire the global skills necessary in the work force,” Johannes said.

Central Piedmont Community College, based in Charlotte, is one of the state's 10 institutions to join the initiative. 

“I think it is integral that our students, our work force, understands the impact and implications of international issues,” said Nadine Russell, director of Global Learning at Central Piedmont.

Elon University, the top-ranking university in the nation for sending students abroad, also supports Generation Study Abroad.

The university, which offers short and long-term study abroad opportunities, aims to have 100 percent accessibility to the programs by 2020. 

“We are trying to remove barriers,” said Rhonda Waller, director of Study Abroad at Elon University. 

Kayla Scinta, a UNC junior who studied abroad in Hong Kong, said exclusively living in the United States is, in a way, an isolating experience.

“I think it’s an eye-opener to see how other people live their lives," she said. 

Maya King, a UNC junior who studied abroad in Sevilla, said the opportunity to study abroad is what everyone should consider.

“I think everybody should study abroad. You get to do it probably only once in your lifetime,” she said.

Ultimately, Johannes said Generation Study Abroad aims to reach out to a larger audience — including nonprofits, higher-education institutions, k-12 educators and for-profit organizations.

“It’s the most comprehensive campaign of its type."