Swimming and diving teams sweep competition in four-team dual meet

Three days removed from earning the No. 5 ranking in the College Swimming Coaches Association of America poll, the North Carolina women's swimming and diving team looked to defend its ranking for the first time.

And in dual meet action at the Indiana Counsilman-Billingsley Aquatics Center on Friday, the Tar Heels did just that. 

Going up against No. 10 Tennessee, No. 11 Indiana and Kentucky, the women’s team swept its competition, while the No. 12 men's team defeated the No. 9 Hoosiers, No. 11 Volunteers and the Wildcats to cap an impressive meet for UNC. 

On the women's side, a Tar Heel placed first in nine out of 16 events.

Junior Hellen Moffitt continued her strong start by winning all three of her individual events — the 100-yard backstroke, the 200-yard backstroke and the 100-yard butterfly. She accomplished the same feat on Oct. 10 against Georgia.

Senior Emma Nunn came just six-one hundredths of a second away from breaking her career best in the 1,000-yard freestyle, placing first with a time of 9:53.08. Sophomore Elissa Dawson also snagged a win in three-meter diving.

Despite the women's team's strong performance, the men’s team wasn’t overshadowed in the four-team dual meet, placing second in nine events.

Senior Sam Lewis stood out for UNC, winning the 100-yard butterfly and placing second in the 50-yard freestyle. Senior Kurt Wohlrab placed second in the 100-yard breaststroke, and junior Jack Nyquist placed second in both the one- and three-meter dives.

Coach Rich DeSelm said the quad meet is an unusual format for the team, but the Tar Heels responded well in seizing two sweeps.

Quotable

“We had a lot of energy today. This was a different meet than we’ve ever been in. We’ve never come to Bloomington, never swum Indiana. To travel up here yesterday and compete today and win three out of three of the men’s meets and three out of three of women’s meets feels really good.” — DeSelm on UNC's performance.

Three numbers that matter

2: Senior Ally Hardesty won two individual events — the 100-yard freestyle and the 200-yard freestyle.

4: It took about four hours for the meet to finish, an amount necessary for the 32 events that took place.

172: The UNC men’s team dominated Kentucky, almost quadrupling the Wildcats' score in 172-point win.

What’s next?

The Tar Heels host the UNC/NCAC Mile Meet on Sunday at Koury Natatorium. The meet is scheduled to start at 11 a.m.

@WCCarp