UNC deviates from statewide homeschooling trends

But the shift hasn’t materialized at UNC.

Barbara Polk, deputy director for the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at UNC, said the University has not seen significant changes in rates for homeschool applicants in the last four years.

She said as students have diverse backgrounds, the office primarily focuses on understanding their educational contexts for a fair evaluation.

“We use a holistic approach to admissions for all students, looking at a variety of factors — academic records, test scores, extracurricular activities, community involvement, essays, recommendations,” Polk said.

“We do the exact same thing for students from homeschool settings.”

UNC admits anywhere from 41 to 47 percent of homeschool applicants, though they generally receive just under 100 applications yearly, Polk said.

Grace Garner, a sophomore who was homeschooled with her siblings throughout her education, said options beyond college are sometimes encouraged within the homeschooling community.

“There tends to be a little more emphasis on other options of life beyond college,” she said.

“Like after high school, if you have an idea for a small business, just going out and starting it right off the bat.”

Jackie Kenny, a sophomore who has experienced both homeschool and public school environments, said she was surprised by the rising statewide trend but pleased more students are choosing a homeschooled option.

She said her homeschooling lent itself to college schedules and classrooms.

“In college you pick classes that interest you. You have so much free time,” Kenny said.

“It’s a lot of study on your own, learn for your own and take initiative. That’s basically what homeschooling is.”

Amy Chauncey is the executive director of Deerstream Learning Center, a Chapel Hill entity that provides Christian-based learning for homeschoolers.

She said the loosening of homeschooling laws has opened the door for more students and families.

“Some of the laws were restrictive and prevented parents from getting support and help that they would need in homeschooling kids that had learning disabilities, for example,” she said.

“Now the laws have changed, and that’s a more appealing option for parents.”

Appreciating the ability to educate their children themselves, some parents assert homeschooling is the best use of their time, Chauncey said.

Kenny said homeschooling also allowed her to learn outside of the classroom.

“You have the time, space and resources to go out and search and learn more for yourself, and you aren’t in a box,” she said.

“In homeschooling, they encourage you to follow your instincts and curiosities and foster what you love. You can delve deeper into subjects.”

More changes should be pursued to alter the state education system, Kenny said.

“I feel like our school system really does need to look for alternative ways of learning, especially as our culture progresses and technology advances so much,” she said.

“There’s so many different ways to learn and so many resources available. You don’t have to do it really old-school or old-fashioned and churn-out standardized workers.”