UNC football looks to maintain hot start, intensity against Virginia

Playmakers Preview
Playmakers Preview

It marks the first time since 2011 that UNC has opened the season at 5-1, as well as the best start for Coach Larry Fedora during his four-year tenure.

And having grown accustomed to such poor starts over the past two seasons, he confessed there’s a sense of relief surrounding him and his team.

“It feels a whole lot better,” Fedora said Monday. “It’s a confidence booster for a football team. It makes them feel better about everything that we’re doing — everything.”

But while Fedora and the Tar Heels have welcomed their hot start, they’re even more focused on ensuring it continues.

Following its 5-1 start to the 2011 season, UNC dropped four of its next five games and eventually finished with a 7-6 record after falling to Missouri in the Independence Bowl.

Quarterback Marquise Williams, who redshirted in 2011, admits the team’s achievements so far feel good. But the team can’t be content.

“Everybody is patting you on your back, because that’s what you want,” said the fifth-year senior. “You’re not human if you don’t care about how nobody is telling you ‘good job’ or anything. At the same time, I tell the guys, ‘Don’t get complacent. We still have to keep moving forward.’”

Having won five consecutive games, a win on Saturday against the Cavaliers (2-4, 1-1 ACC) would hand the Tar Heels their longest winning streak since reeling off eight straight victories in 1997.

Fedora said the team’s approach remains consistent with how it’s been in the past, even when things weren’t going well. And in order for UNC to seal its sixth win in a row, he’s emphasized continuing to home in on the finest of details.

“We continue to keep doing the same things,” Fedora said. “I talked about it with them the other day: ‘Don’t forget what it took to get to this point, what you’ve done, what you’ve put into it. It didn’t just happen. You didn’t just walk out here and it happened like this.’ We want to keep doing that.”

With all four of the Cavaliers’ losses coming against teams that were ranked at one point this season, Fedora says UVa. shouldn’t be underestimated.

And even though a couple of players have missed time due to injury or suspension, the Tar Heels must maintain the same intensity they’ve played with up until this point.

“You can’t lose that edge just because you’re six or seven games into the season and you’re kind of banged up,” sophomore tailback Elijah Hood said. “You’ve still got to be physical, run hard, block hard, give everything you’ve got on every special teams play and just do everything we’ve been doing.”

@patjames24