UNC graduate headlines national tour, coming to DPAC

Monty Navarro has a dilemma.

He’s ninth in line to inherit a fortune and the title Earl of Highhurst, but what’s a fellow to do when there are so many in line for the inheritance?

UNC graduate, former Morehead-Cain scholar and Clef Hanger, Kevin Massey, has found his new home in the first national tour of the four-time Tony Award-winning production, "A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder," a musical comedy with a murderous plot.

"Gentleman’s Guide" begins with Monty Navarro, played by Massey, who learns he is an heir to a family fortune at the death of his mother. He then sets out to jump the line of succession by killing the eight irritating relatives he meets along the way, all of whom are played by one actor, John Rapson.

All the while, Monty has to manage his love triangle between the girl he grew up with and his mistress — without getting arrested for killing off the family. 

"Gentleman’s Guide" premieres Tuesday and will run until Oct. 18 at the Durham Performing Arts Center. 

Massey received a bachelor’s degree in music with a minor in chemistry and shifted his life goals from doctor to pursuing a career as a professional actor. 

But UNC taught him the importance of always being the best version of himself.

“Being at Chapel Hill and part of Morehead program encouraged you to be the best at whatever you do. Even though goals shifted after leaving, I’m going to do the best I can and represent the university and my family well,” Massey said. 

Breaking into theater is all about being in the right place at the right time, but Massey has advice for those who want to follow in his footsteps and work their way up the showbiz ladder.

“Do, do, do, be a part of anything you can. Audition for anything you can," he said. "If you don’t get cast, be a part of backstage crew because you will learn being around them."

He also said Chapel Hill prepares students for the competitive world of theater.

“Be diligent in studies. All work at Chapel Hill will set you up for good habits. People get weeded out quickly, especially in New York. Say yes to everything you can, even if they seem inconvenient. Do your best, do a good job and be nice to everybody.”

Sophomore Matt Goldman, publicity manager for the Clefs, said he is inspired by Massey’s successful career. 

“He is awesome, has a great tenor range and he is the first to go on Broadway," he said.

Director of Choral Activities Susan Klebanow said she is excited to see the show. 

"I am very proud and excited for Kevin and can hardly wait to see him in the show tomorrow night,” she said. 

Students can buy tickets for $20, and audience members will have the opportunity to meet Massey after each performance at the stage door. 

Massey said "A Gentleman's Guide" is a rare experience for students.

"Take advantage while you can.”

@Tew_Elissa