UNC makes statement with 26-19 win over Pittsburgh

PITTSBURGH — They were built for this.

The players on the North Carolina football team remembered being on the opposite side of Thursday’s 26-19 victory at No. 23 Pittsburgh, unable to garner a win in a nationally televised game against a premier opponent.

Just eight weeks prior they experienced defeat under seemingly identical circumstances, falling to South Carolina in Charlotte in a primetime contest.

And for the past three years, memories similar to these — like the home loss to Miami in 2013 — were forged in their minds.

But on Thursday at Heinz Field, with the stage set once again, the Tar Heels (7-1, 4-0 ACC) finally capitalized on their opportunity — claiming the victory as well as first place in the Coastal Division.

“It means a lot,” said redshirt senior quarterback Marquise Williams of UNC’s win. “The thing is, people think we are irrelevant. Nobody wants to give us respect. This was our opportunity to come in here and get people’s attention, and even if it doesn’t, we’re going to keep doing what we’ve been doing to get people’s attention.”

Although the score reflected a tighter contest than it was — partly due to a Pittsburgh touchdown with less than a minute remaining — North Carolina might have done enough to continue stimulating its audience.

Whether it was Williams’ 71-yard touchdown pass to receiver Ryan Switzer or UNC’s 20-3 halftime lead, the Tar Heels’ offense produced its share of memorable moments.

And even when the offense sputtered in the second half, the defense recorded season-highs of five sacks and eight pass breakups on the night to help keep the lead intact.

Coach Larry Fedora said the game wasn’t always pretty, and highlighted UNC settling for field goals on four separate drives instead of scoring touchdowns as needs of improvement. But the Tar Heels did enough to get the job done.

Since UNC started ACC play against Georgia Tech on Oct. 3, Fedora said the team has approached each game under the impression it is the Coastal Division frontrunner.

But despite the Tar Heels’ failure to dictate their destiny in the past by winning such pivotal games, their mindset is the same as it has been, Fedora said.

“It’s not different. The results were different,” he said. “That’s the way we go into the season, believing we’re going to win the league. That’s our goal every year. For us, it’s just, when you step out and you play that very first one, you want to believe you’re in the driver’s seat and you control your own destiny.”

After Thursday’s victory, UNC is primed to do that. No. 22 Duke, which plays Miami on Saturday, is the next opponent on the Tar Heels’ schedule. If the Blue Devils (6-1, 3-0 ACC) defeat Miami, the Nov. 7 meeting with North Carolina will likely be the first since 1939 both programs enter the game ranked.

A win would give the Tar Heels a firm grasp on first place in the Coastal Division with only three weeks left in the regular season. But in order to reach this point, UNC needed to win the game it previously couldn’t.

“I always knew we had the ability to do it,” said sophomore running back Elijah Hood. “It’s great we’re going out there fighting and getting wins. Games aren’t always going to go the way you want them to go, so it’s good to have a strong team to go with the ebbs and the flows of the game.

“Times are good and times are bad, but we stay the same all the way through.”

@patjames24