Cannon launches from UNC to Georgia legislature

Cannon received her associate’s degree from Chapman University in Orange, Calif. She went on to earn her bachelor’s degree from UNC, studying linguistics and Hispanic linguistics with a minor in women’s and gender studies in 2014.

Cannon credits her studies at UNC in helping her have a better understanding of different cultures and how they play a role in public policy.

“Two professors stick out to me who had major impacts on me — Richard Vernon and Michele Berger,” she said. “I had professor Vernon for Portuguese, and he taught me very useful and constructive language tools. Professor Berger taught courses on feminist theory and was also a very creative person.”

As a student, Cannon caught the attention of her professors. Sharon James, a professor in the Department of Classics, said she remembers Cannon taking her course “Women in Ancient Greece” in spring 2013.

“Cannon was an excellent student. It was a large lecture class, and I could always rely on her both to answer questions and to also ask questions that were thoughtful and thought-provoking,” she said.

As a friend, Cannon also left an impression on fellow students she met during her years at UNC.

Angelica Arnold, now a graduate student at UNC, said she got to know Cannon when they both took a Spanish class.

“She was fluent in Spanish, so we studied together after almost every class,” she said. “After finding out we were both transfer students, we became very close.”

Cannon said her political platform has been heavily impacted by her experience at UNC.

“I worked with NARAL (Pro-Choice) N.C. and the Compass Center, which helped me develop an understanding of comprehensive sex education and abortion politics,” she said.

“When I graduated, I wanted to find a place similar, and that was Atlanta, Ga.”

Cannon said she was influenced by Simone Bell, the current seat-holder in the 58th district, who resigned on Friday.

“She is also a person of color and openly a lesbian and has done a lot of work in LGBTQ communities, so I started to see myself in similar positions,” Cannon said.

She said Georgia is waiting for the governor to schedule the election, which will hopefully take place in time for the seat to be filled by the January session. If not, there will be a special election in early 2016.

Arnold said she sees Cannon as someone with fresh ideas who will get things done.

“I know transparency and accountability are of utmost importance to her because she wants to treat her constituents as she would want to be treated,” she said.

James said Cannon would make an effective and genuine leader, as she’s extremely articulate and can listen to different perspectives.

“Cannon is going to wind up being a leader and affecting policy,” she said. “There is no question about that in my mind.”