Letter: ​UNC allowed bike racks on game day

Two weeks ago, I wrote The Daily Tar Heel about my frustration with the symbolism of impounding bicycles parked outside a research building (the Genome Sciences Building) to accommodate football festivities. I was very pleased by the response from the community and UNC. The issue of balancing academics and athletics clearly struck a chord with the more than 69,000 people who viewed the Facebook post about the sign used.

I was pleasantly surprised by the rapid positive response from the relevant UNC staff and administrators. Faculty Chair Peter Mucha and Faculty Council Transportation Committee representative Peter Gilligan rapidly looked into this and other issues faced by faculty staff and students who need to work on game days. Cheryl Stout in Transportation and Parking and Associate Vice Chancellor for Campus Enterprises Brad Ives also crafted a very nice compromise easing the restrictions on bicycle parking near the GSB on football weekends.

Now the only bike rack affected is that just outside the GSB cafe, where the chancellor meets her guests before the game, and the restrictions now only apply during the day of the game instead of starting the evening before. Folks bicycling in are directed to alternate bike racks in a number of other locations on the plaza. The sign was also altered to make it more friendly and less punitive. Associate Vice Chancellor Ives is also looking into other transportation issues. Thanks to all!

Prof. Mark Peifer

Department of Biology