Chapel Hill election results

Chapel Hill has a new mayor and three new Town Council members

UPDATED 10:00 p.m. 

Pam Hemminger won the mayoral race with 53.8 percent of the vote. 

Jessica Anderson, Nancy Oates, Donna Bell and Michael Parker won positions on the Chapel Hill Town Council, replacing incumbents Jim Ward and Lee Storrow. 

Former Mayor Mark Kleinschmidt led Chapel Hill for the past six years. Hemminger, Anderson and Oates were endorsed by CHALT, the Chapel Hill Alliance for a Livable Town. 

On the Chapel Hill-Carrboro School Board, Rani Dasi, Margaret Samuels, Annetta Streater and Pat Heinrich won the four open spots. 

Chapel Hill also voted on $40.3 million in bond funds used for streets and sidewalks, recreational facilities, trails and greenways, solid waste facilities and stormwater improvements. Voters overwhelmingly chose to use bond funds for each of these purposes. 

UPDATED 9:32 p.m.

Chapel Hill and Carrboro went to the polls Tuesday to cast their vote for Chapel Hill mayor, four Chapel Hill Town Council seats and four Chapel Hill-Carrboro school board positions. There were no challengers for Carrboro mayor or Carrboro Board of Alderman.

As of 9:32 p.m. all 35 precincts reported. Voter turnout was 16.71 percent.

Mayor

Former Mayor Mark Kleinschmidt, who has served as mayor of Chapel Hill since 2009, lost re-election. Pam Hemminger won with 53.8 percent of the vote. Gary Kahn captured 0.9 percent of the vote.

Town Council 

Jessica Anderson, Donna Bell, Nancy Oates and Michael Parker won the four open seats on the Chapel Hill Town Council. Incumbents Lee Storrow and Jim Ward lost their seats.

School Board 

Rani Dasi, Margaret Samuels, Annetta Streater and Pat Heinrich won the four open spots on the Chapel Hill-Carrboro School Board. 

@slamm_5