UNC students react: do men eat more pizza when with women?

According to a Cornell study published Nov. 18, men consume almost twice as much pizza when eating with women, compared to eating with other men. Staff writer Zoe Hazerjian asked UNC students what they thought about this.

Marisa Scavo

Senior

Environmental science 

I feel like men would eat more when they are not in the presence of women. Maybe they are trying to impress women by eating a lot of pizza, like I don’t know — is that an impressive factor? But if they are without women, I feel like they would just eat freely. Maybe it’s because I’m a woman and that’s my intuitiveness of the female gender.

Katarina Strenk

Sophomore

Management and Society 

Well, I do know when people and when animals are in groups, they tend to eat more — I know that’s a fact. But I don’t know how I feel about that. Maybe it’s a testosterone thing and that they don’t realize what they are doing, and it’s more of an evolutionary aspect that we don’t really realize yet. It does shock me — I would feel like it would almost be the opposite, where they would eat more with men to boost their testosterone, compared to other men.

Anjan Sapasetty

Sophomore

Economics 

That’s surprising because I feel like you’d be more conscious of what you’re eating, and you wouldn’t want to appear as an overeater or as unhealthy when you’re in front of a woman. That’s crazy. That’s wild. I just feel like men would be more health-conscious.

Murad Mansour

Sophomore

Spanish and Global Studies

That is actually quite interesting to hear because usually in group settings, you don’t really think about how much you are eating. I sort of based that off my caloric intake because I’m kind of a nerd like that, but I find that study to be quite interesting.

Jessica Chen

First-year

Global Studies 

I guess they are trying to impress women with the amount of pizza they eat. Although that’s funny because when I see a guy, I'm not really impressed by the amount of pizza they can eat. I am surprised that they actually did a specific study to research this topic. But that is interesting. I didn’t realize there was a correlation between the presence of women and the amount of pizza men eat. That’s also very unhealthy because if you are going on dates frequently, it’s just not good for your health in general.