UNC appoints special assistant, will hold town hall on race

The email, which was sent just after 4 p.m. Thursday, listed events at the University of Missouri and Yale University as reasons to increase its efforts.

“Like all of you, we have been deeply moved by what has been another historic week on college campuses across the nation,” the email said. “Once again, our country is witnessing how racial tensions and collective responses to those tensions drive change and spark calls for immediate action.”

Chancellor Carol Folt appointed Rumay Alexander, director of the Office of Multicultural Affairs in the School of Nursing, as a special assistant to the chancellor.

Alexander will start Jan. 1.

“How do we as a campus help each other to flourish and to have a sense of belonging, not just fitting in?” Alexander said in an interview.

Alexander will talk to different groups on campus to identify areas of need before creating concrete plans.

“It’ll require us to come together, do some talking, share ideas and join together,” she said.

The update announced the town hall meeting to discuss issues of inclusivity and campus safety. The meeting, which will take place from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., will also be live-streamed.

“That’s a good example and a good beginning. It’s things like this — bringing entities into spaces where they can share and help co-create,” Alexander said.

National Pan-Hellenic Council President Michael Morrison said he plans to talk to other council members about attending and speaking at the town hall meeting.

“We will show support, and we will bring valid questions and plans for approval,” he said.

The Real Silent Sam Coalition, National Pan-Hellenic Council and Black Student Movement are holding a rally in solidarity with the Concerned Students 1950 movement at the University of Missouri today at 11 a.m. on the steps of South Building.

Morrison said the National Pan-Hellenic Council plans to invite Folt.

“We would just love to have the support of our campus administrators tomorrow,” he said. “We feel like this will be a great step for solidarity and to be there for the students.”

He said the events at the University of Missouri could have happened at any university on the East Coast.

“It’s a matter of allowing things to muster and build up over time.”

Alexander said the University’s efforts rely on communication and responding to the information presented in settings like the town hall meeting.

“Carolina’s mission and mine go hand in hand,” she said.