UNC cheerleader scores fiancée at Homecoming

Courtesy of Carol DeSalva

Courtesy of Carol DeSalva

UNC cheerleader Vinny Corwin, a senior, proposed to his girlfriend of three years, senior Carol DeSalva, who is also on the cheerleading team. Corwin did pushups to count the points after UNC’s first touchdown and then dropped down on one knee to propose.

UNC’s Director of Spirit Programs Brown Walters, the couple’s cheerleading coach, said he hadn’t seen anything like this in his 20 years at UNC and hadn’t heard of anything like it in the past either.

Walters said Corwin cleared the proposal with him three months before the game.

The time he spent waiting to propose was the worst part, Corwin said.

“On a scale of 10, (the stress) was probably an 11,” he said.

Immediately before the game, Corwin said, was the most stressful point.

“It was definitely nerve-wracking to say the least, the buildup was the worst, because we have to get there to the games two and a half hours early,” Corwin said.

“So, obviously she didn’t know anything, but I knew it was going to happen. The toughest part was waiting for the game to start.”

Corwin said despite the nervousness he experienced before he proposed to DeSalva in front of 60,000 people, it was easy to come to the conclusion to ask her to marry him.

“We’ve been dating for three years so it was an easy decision for me, but it was mainly just the fact it was in front of so many people, and I also didn’t want to mess up in front of so many people,” Corwin said.

DeSalva said after dinner on her first date with Corwin, he took her to Kenan Stadium.

“We’re both cheerleaders, so some of our most memorable moments in college have been in Kenan Stadium watching football, and obviously who gets that opportunity? You’re on the field. You’re stunt partners. You’re both on the cheerleading team. It just kind of all made sense,” Corwin said.

DeSalva said she hopes to get a long-term job in marketing after graduation and to move back to her native home of Connecticut with Corwin.

Walters said he’s seen DeSalva and Corwin grow to be two great individuals through coaching them, and he said he expects them to be an excellent couple.

He said Corwin had a great proposal.

“I don’t think we could’ve gone any better. Considering how they felt about it, I think they were pleased,” Walters said.

Corwin said he and DeSalva will always remember their time in Kenan Stadium and at UNC.

“It’s definitely something we will remember for the rest of our lives,” he said.