UNC rowing closes fall season at Head of the Hooch

After being unable to participate in the 2014 Head of the Hooch competition because of inclement weather, the North Carolina women’s rowing team traveled to Chattanooga, Tennessee to participate in the competition. 

The Tar Heels participated in several events on Saturday that included combined races for colleges and clubs, as well as the overall championships for both men and women.

The UNC women’s rowing team started its day with the championship 8+. The Tar Heels faced stout competition from colleges like Oklahoma and Clemson, but the varsity eight claimed eighth place, while the second varsity eight garnered a 13th-place finish.  

North Carolina fared better in the College & Club novice 8+ race that featured 45 teams, as the novice 8+ and second novice 8+ boats finished third and sixth, respectively. 

In their final race of the day, the Tar Heels deployed four boats in the Championship 4+ against 26 other colleges. UNC's best of its four boats posted a time of 18:00.9, which was good for seventh place. The other three boats placed ninth, 17th and 18th. 

Despite the mixed results, and the less-than-ideal weather conditions, Coach Sarah Haney was proud of her players for their performance during the long and grueling day. Haney said the team will address issues and work on improvements as they head into a four-month break.  

Quotable

“The team performed really well in this wet and rainy day, which really show the strength and mentality that they possess to perform in any conditions, and they did a great job all day today.” — Haney on her team’s performance.

Notable

The Head of the Hooch also included races for alumni, youth and masters. The UNC men’s alumni team finished second in the Men’s Alumni 8+. 

What’s next?

The UNC women’s rowing team will return from its break on March 19 in Clemson, South Carolina, where the Tar Heels will face Clemson and Duke in the Carolina Cup. 

@BrandonWhite95