Yeti makes its way through local bars

Great Divide Brewing Company mascot the Yeti mingles and guest-bartends at Beer Study as part of the Yeti Bar Crawl in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro area Friday.

This snow-ape is also known as a Yeti, and he is the mascot of the Great Divide Brewing Company and several of their craft brews. Among these special seasonal brews are the Espresso Oak Aged Yeti, the Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti and the Oatmeal Yeti.

Great Divide Brewing Company was founded in 1994 in Denver, Colorado by Brian Dunn.

After five years of traveling through developing countries, Dunn said he decided to return to his home in Colorado and begin home brewing.

Since the company was founded, Dunn and his staff have experimented and successfully brewed many different craft beers, all inspired by the spirit of the city of Denver.

Many bars, not only in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro area, but also the state, carry Great Divide Brewing Company beer.

The Yeti took part in the bar crawl on Friday, which began with a Yeti Mario Kart Challenge at Beer Study, a local Carrboro bar.

The Yeti and his entourage then made their way to Milltown in Carrboro, where the Yeti indulged in several beers and appetizers named in his honor as Yeti Bites.

Tyler’s Taproom was the last leg of the bar crawl, with the Yeti showing his moves during a dance-off.

Tyler’s had prepared a DJ and a large dance floor for the Yeti to get into his groove.

Several people took pictures with the Yeti as he passed to and from bars, where he enjoyed several of the brews named in his honor.

Zack Wilkinson, the front house manager of Tyler’s Taproom, said this location was the best space for the dance-off event.

“We’ve done this Yeti pub crawl in the past,” Wilkinson said. ”For beer variety, you’re not going to beat Tyler’s.”

The Yeti competed in the dance-off event at Tyler’s Taproom and said he was here to spread the word about Great Divide’s craft beer, Yeti Imperial Stout.

The Yeti had also been to several other cities in North Carolina, including Raleigh and Durham.

“We just like to spread the word about believing in the Yeti and awesome craft beers,” the Yeti said.

He also had some words of advice for locals.

“Don’t walk alone in the woods,” the Yeti said. “Drink only craft beer, and nothing is wrong with a little yak burger once in a while.”

Elizabeth Danka, a postdoctoral researcher at UNC, joined the Yeti for his bar crawl.

“Great Divide has good beer and you can’t say no to a yeti,” Danka said. “He’s definitely going to win the dance-off.”

Andrew Monteith, a graduate student at UNC and Danka’s friend, said he heard about the Yeti and was excited to see it.

“We’ll definitely come out in the future.”

@BurhanKadibhai