11:33 a.m.: McCracken said he does not think the police response was an overreaction given recent events around the country. He encouraged anyone who sees anything suspicious to report it.

DPS is trying to get in touch with the person who originally called 911, and McCracken said "it may well be" that the person thought they saw something suspicious.

The armory — which holds classrooms for UNC's three ROTC programs — is kept locked and contains active and inactive military-issue weapons, McCracken said. He mentioned parade rifles specifically.

The original 911 call came at 8:22 a.m., McCracken said. The Alert Carolina went out at 8:53 a.m. according to the alert website.

The UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy went into lockdown at 8:35 a.m., according to an email sent to pharmacy faculty.

The pharmacy school is on South Columbia Street, a short walk from the armory. 

11:09 a.m.: To clarify, Jim Gregory referred to the second incident involving a homeowner and an air rifle directly as a false alarm. 

Gregory did confirm that no armed and dangerous person was found this morning during the campus lockdown and that there was no threat to campus, but he did not directly call it a false alarm.

11 a.m.: The report of an armed and dangerous person on campus was a false alarm, UNC spokesperson Jim Gregory confirmed in a press conference this morning.

The original 911 call was from someone who reported they saw a person with a rifle entering the armory, says Department of Public Safety Chief Jeff McCracken.

There was a second incident reported after the lockdown this morning; police arrived at the scene, and McCracken says it was a homeowner using an air rifle on their own property near campus. 

DPS is leading the investigation and is trying to get in touch with the person who called 911 this morning.

9:55 a.m.: UNC spokesperson Jim Gregory said this morning that Chapel Hill Police received an anonymous call from someone that reported an armed person in the area.

The Chapel Hill Police Department "responded out of an abundance of caution," Gregory said, and searched the area and didn't find anyone.

9:20 a.m.: UNC has sounded the all clear siren this morning after a campus-wide lockdown.

UNC spokesperson Jim Gregory confirms there was an unconfirmed report of an armed person near the intersection of South Columbia and McCauley.

Roads are now open and the all clear siren has been issued. More to come.

9:02 a.m.: The University is on lockdown due to an armed and dangerous man on campus, according to an Alert Carolina posted at 8:55 a.m.

The Daily Tar Heel will publish more as it receives and verifies it.