UNC looks to draw crowds with spring Jubilee concert

Instead of hosting a Homecoming concert this year, the Carolina Union Activities Board decided to focus its time and resources on the spring Jubilee concert. The decision was made by last year’s board of activities. 

According to Boateng Kubi, the CUAB Vice President of Outreach, the concert will be held on Apr. 26 and will offer 4,900 tickets. 

CUAB announced this decision to forego the concert on Sept. 4 through Twitter, linking to a Google Form with the names of potential options: The Weeknd, Schoolboy Q, Capital Cities, Fetty Wap, PartyNextDoor, Chase Rice, Future, Odesza, Twenty One Pilots and a write-in option. 

The form was closed on Sept. 26 with 1,578 responses

In 2014-15, CUAB spent a total of $80,750 on concerts: $50,000 on Homecoming acts and a combined $30,750 for the Jubilee acts of Rae Sremmurd and Well$. 

According to a 2014 Variety article on booking fees, it would cost approximately $25,000 to $35,000 to book Twenty One Pilots, $25,000 to $40,000 for Schoolboy Q, $40,000 to $50,000 for Common and $40,000 to $60,000 for Capital Cities. 

The sold-out Jubilee concert in April was the first Jubilee since Johnny Cash and the Temptations played on UNC’s campus in 1971. The show, which issued 2,450 tickets, was more successful than last year’s Homecoming concert, which sold 900 tickets between the Gloriana and Earl Sweatshirt concerts. 

Kubi said CUAB is still looking for venues, but Jubilee will definitely not be on Hooker Fields like last year.

Junior Jennie Baker and sophomores Lauren Moody and Katheryn Thompson were all disappointed to hear there would be no Homecoming concert, but they were excited about the potential of a bigger spring show.  

“Last year, Duke got T-Pain. I think it’d be so sick if we could get someone that people know — like Waka Flocka or someone,” Moody said.

Kubi said the choice of artist is wide open as of now. “With every event we hold, we try to hold the best possible event. There’s always room for improvement.” 

@sarahvassello