Chapel Hill prepares for winter weather

“Every year, the department provides new employee and refresher training to existing employees in public works,” said Lance Norris, Chapel Hill public works director.

“This occurs early to mid-December. The training includes safety, roles, procedures and mounting and testing equipment. There is also a review for employees assigned to the department’s coordination center.”

Norris said the town has 11 snowplow trucks, seven box spreaders, four brine distributors and a motor grader and that the town has contracts for more equipment.

He also said the town’s brine storage tanks, roadway rock salt bins and sand bins are full.

Once snow has accumulated to two inches, plowing begins.

The town plows areas in order of importance, with bridges and major streets first, followed by bus routes, solid waste collector routes, through streets and dead end streets.

But the town isn’t responsible for clearing all roads and sidewalks. School property is the school’s responsibility, and sidewalks in front of homes and driveways are residents’ responsibilities. Chapel Hill is only responsible for town roads, town parking lots and public buildings.

Chapel Hill residents are still concerned about the town’s efforts to remain prepared for the snow.

“They should be preparing. I do think it’s going to snow, probably in late February,” said Chapel Hill resident Brian Haney.

“We tend to get our big snows in February,” he said. “Overall, they do a pretty decent job considering we don’t spend that much money on it.”

Town Council member Maria Palmer mentioned possibilities for further improving Chapel Hill’s adverse weather policies.

“We don’t have people just for inclement weather,” Palmer said.

“The folks that pick up the trash, the folks that deal with the sidewalk, everybody has a job to do when inclement weather comes.”

Palmer said the previous council had a proposal for before the snow started falling to require businesses and people to clear their sidewalks and property.

“It’s something that many communities have and something that we were going to look at,” she said.

“I’m hoping that we can still look at that possibility with the new council.”

More information about Chapel Hill’s adverse weather policies can be found on the town’s website.

@_rachel_bridges