Chapel Hill Transit discusses new bus route

Chapel Hill Transit hosted meetings to discuss a route to connect the Eubanks Road Park and Southern Village shopping center.

Chapel Hill Transit hosted two public meetings Wednesday to discuss the new route, which will connect the Eubanks Road Park and Ride stop with the Southern Village shopping center.

The proposed seven-mile bus rapid transit line is a response to Chapel Hill Transit’s North-South Corridor Alternatives Analysis Study to determine an alternative for the safer and quicker movement of people along this section of Chapel Hill. The study, which began in January of 2014, is the first step in obtaining Federal Transit Administration funding for the project’s construction.

At the meetings, Chapel Hill Transit introduced six alternatives for routes in the North-South Corridor.

Mila Vega, transit service planner at Chapel Hill Transit, said the demand for more extensive transit services already existed in Chapel Hill prior to the study. Though buses in this corridor circulate roughly every four minutes, at high-travel hours, there is not enough room for everyone waiting at the stop.

“The current system, the way it is now, cannot handle it,” Vega said. “We’re looking for a way to use or expand on existing roadways to add capacity to the system.”

Vega said if plans for the route move forward, the line will likely operate for longer hours, seven days a week.

“Right now we just want to see what the public thinks is a good fit and, so far, the public has generally been very supportive,” Vega said.

She said Chapel Hill Transit will use public input and calculations based on travel time and project costs to make its decision on the route. She said there are also technical and policy committees who will provide input.

Vega said once a decision is made, Chapel Hill Transit will submit the plan to the Town Council for adoption.

Gavin Poindexter, senior transportation planner with AECOM Technical services, said the transit line could involve building new bus lanes or converting existing lanes into special bus lanes, providing buses with priority at intersections and building nicer stations.

“It’s a high ridership route, and it really feeds into growth holes in the town,” he said.

Chapel Hill resident, Rosemary Waldorf, who was the town’s mayor from 1995-2001, attended the meeting Wednesday and said she thinks the line is a great idea.

“There’s not a better way to do it,” Waldorf said. “There are certain parts of the route, especially at the intersection of Columbia and Eubanks, where two lanes are like bus lanes because the buses get there and just stop and stay. Improvements will make movement more feasible.”

The last meeting to discuss the bus rapid transit line will be hosted from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m today in the West Lounge of the Student Union.