Column: When I laughed with Trump

Trump? You like Donald Trump?”

“I don’t like him! He’s just entertaining. It’s like a free movie we all get to watch!”

So said I blithely to the group at lunch. I was in Sweden, and they were asking me about American politics.

And I did think Trump was hilarious. Of course, I realized that he had started his campaign by equating Mexico with rapists and criminals. But what of it? Most Americans don’t really think Mexicans are rapists and criminals. They can tell that Trump is exaggerating.

Truthfully, I was inclined to forgive Trump because I loved how he was sinking all other Republicans. I cheered as Trump rose and then looked forward to gloating when the Democrats sent him packing with a flea in his ear.

Then, it started: Thousands of Muslims in New Jersey cheered on 9/11. I will deport Syrian refugees that Obama admits. We should absolutely have a database of Muslims in this country.

Only then did I panic. People underestimate the role the government plays in our lives. Even those who fancy a small government are trained from childhood to listen to the wisdom of authority — first, our parents, then, our teachers, police, and standing behind them all, the government.

This can be good. When businesses refuse maternity leave, the government can step in and say, “No, you have to.” When people write off immigrant kids, the government says, “No, you have to provide English as a Second Language lessons.” When people slide towards tit-for-tat crime, the government says, “We’ll not have mob justice here. We’ll put the people who harmed you on trial, but you as well if you seek revenge.”

When this government, or the most popular candidate running for its highest office, says: “Well! Let’s register all Muslims.” — I panicked.

I know many think we just deserve it. If God made me born with black hair and eyes, that’s proof that even God wants me registered. I understand that we Muslims are not perfect saints. I don’t blame you for being scared.

But when suddenly the finger was pointed so squarely at me — I need you to be registered — I panicked. When the government — society’s premier authority —could tell everyone that we Muslims are so bad that we need to be registered, what is the incentive for anyone to treat us fairly?

What incentive will teachers or cops have to treat Muslims gently when they know, “Oh, this one’s registered, they’re dangerous anyways”? How is a jury supposed to care about a murdered Muslim when all the time Trump whispers in their ears, “Don’t forget, this one was registered, their life wasn’t really worth that much”?

It is only now that I can see the wrong in what Trump first said and the panic he must have caused. If illegal immigrants are all rapists and criminals, and the Republican frontrunner said so, then what’s the difference if we treat them as humans or not?

I think back to that lunch in Sweden and realize how stupid they must have thought me, laughing along with Trump.