He’s Not Here signs offers in compromise

He’s Not and Chapel Hill bar La Residence are the two businesses where authorities say former UNC student Chandler Kania consumed alcohol while underage and later hit an oncoming vehicle head-on on I-85 in July.

Agnes Stevens, N.C. ABC Commission spokesperson, stated in an email that the offers are not final until they are ratified by the commission. Stevens stated that once the offers are ratified, the punishment would no longer be pending before an administrative law judge.

She said the proposed offers include a requirement for at least 21 days of active suspension and possible total penalty of $15,000 for three previous violation cases.

In September, the ABC Commission sent He’s Not an offer of compromise stating the bar should surrender their ABC permits by Nov. 6, 2015. The bar didn’t settle with the commission and has since signed the offers in compromise.

The offer of compromise came in response to violations that occurred on April 2, June 5 and July 19. The April violation included failing to determine the age of multiple individuals possessing and consuming alcoholic beverages on He’s Not property, and selling alcohol to a minor, with the proposed offer in compromise being a 50-day suspension and $5,000 fine.

The business’ June violation included selling alcohol to a minor, with the proposed offer in compromise being a 50-day suspension and $5,000 fine. The July violation included failing to determine the age of three individuals, aiding and abetting the sale of alcohol to a minor, selling alcohol to a minor and knowingly allowing violations with a proposed offer in compromise being a 30-day suspension. He’s Not has the option of shortening the suspension by nine days if they pay a $5,000 fine on or before Feb. 5.

The bar’s possible punishment for its involvement in the events this summer has garnered mixed reactions.

“I think that’s fair,” UNC senior Christina Fea said. “I think I would be skewed a little in the other direction if it wasn’t such a traditional place.”

UNC senior Andrew Wells said “I would be very interested in finding out the involvement, in terms of giving alcohol to the eventual driver, and the severity with which they let underage people drink. I think it’s very telling that there’s a difference in harshness of punishment in correlation to the sort of institutional nature of He’s Not.”

@_rachel_bridges

More in Business

More in Food & Drink