On View Near You: Jan. 15

Ackland Art Museum: Guest of Honor

The Ackland Art Museum is premiering the Guest of Honor exhibit, with “Study for Portrait VI” (1953) by Francis Bacon. 

Interim Director and Chief Curator Peter Nisbet said it's the first time any Bacon painting has ever been on display in North Carolina. The painting was acquired as a loan exchange with the Minneapolis Institute of Art. 

“We lent them one of our masterpieces for a special exhibition that they wanted to do, and they made a reciprocal loan of this Francis Bacon painting,” he said.

In the first days of the exhibit being open to the public, the reaction has been positive.

“There was a woman who had come specifically to see it, and she said, 'It’s amazing. It's so powerful. It's more monumental than I expected,” Nesbit said.

Guest of Honor will run until April 10. 

FRANK Gallery: Layer Upon Layer 

FRANK Gallery debuted a new exhibit on Jan. 5 called “Layer Upon Layer," featuring work from artists Peter Filene and Linda Prager. Filene utilizes double exposure photography while Prager contributes ceramic pieces. 

The double photography featured in the exhibit is a technique familiar to camera enthusiasts. 

“He takes a photo on film in a camera and does not advance the film and then takes another photo, which literally layers two photographs together. It's kind of an old-school technique still used in film," FRANK gallery manager Torey Mishoe said. 

She said having the two art forms side by side — photography and ceramics — brought out the talent of the artists. Filene and Prager are part of the twenty-two artist collective that operates the FRANK gallery. 

"Layer Upon Layer" will run until Feb 7.

Light Art + Design

Light Art + Design is showcasing a diverse collection of necklaces, earrings, bracelets and other jewelry, called "Metal V." Twenty-eight artists and studios are featured in the exhibit. 

“It is the fifth year that we have done the metals exhibit. A lot of the pieces are usually jewelry and involve metalworking,” said gallery manager Sarah Blaine. 

The work ranges from a thin, white-painted metal necklace for $56 to a massive black metal necklace with an asking price of $3250. 

“The pieces come from long standing relationships of the gallery, like with Penland School of Crafts and the East Carolina School of Art and Design," Blaine said. 

"Metal V" will run until Jan 16.