Opinion: State follows job centered approach in bond focus

CORRECTION: The original version of this editorial misrepresented UNC-Pembroke's minority affiliation. UNC-Pembroke is recognized as an American Indian university.

On March 15, we voting Northern Carolinians will decide on a $2 billion investment in important infrastructure across the state, almost half of which will be directed toward the UNC school system. Coming at a time of low interest rates, in theory it will not raise taxes and will bring us better parks, better universities and a better state.

It is, overall, a good bond.

And yet, the facilities upgraded by the bond are almost exclusively STEM or “business.” Among the projects, our campus will get a new medical education building ($68 million).

Minority-serving institutions receive attention — N.C. A&T will receive a new engineering building ($90 million), and UNC-Pembroke will begin making a new business school ($23 million).

The renewed investments are beneficial to our UNC system. However, as usual, the state is investing far more in STEM and business than in other areas.

Elizabeth City State University stands to receive $13 million to upgrade its only library and Historic Moore Hall — named for the university founder P.W. Moore — UNC-School of the Arts would get $10.9 million to upgrade its library and the principal performance space, and UNC-Asheville has $21.1 million earmarked for a remake to Owen Hall, home to management and art programs.

Let us literary types produce some STEM research. The numbers are striking. Including the Owen Hall project, of the $980 million investment into the UNC system, about 5 percent go to non-STEM, non-business facilities:

Forty-five of $980 million.

The state continues to focus on STEM and business education ahead of the needs of the broader liberal arts university. A part of this is structural: forgiving Wilson Library’s alleged silverfish scare, University buildings built in the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries for humanities and social science courses remain relevant in ways that an 1850s-era chemistry lab does not.

However, we should temper the state’s dutiful investment in expanding fields with criticism of the belief that “getting a job” is the primary function of a degree.

“What are we teaching these courses for if they’re not going to help get a job?” asked Gov. Pat McCrory.

They make us good citizens, great employees and excellent voters, should “Hurston Hall’s” purported third-floor possum posse not obstruct our geography degrees.