UNC women's basketball overcomes early hole, turnovers to beat Syracuse

Before the North Carolina women’s basketball team had even put a point on the scoreboard, it had committed four turnovers against Syracuse's press defense and had spotted the Orange 10 points. 

But a 3-pointer by first-year guard Stephanie Watts stopped Syracuse’s run and sparked a gradual comeback for the Tar Heels, who seized a 77-73 victory on Thursday in Carmichael Arena. 

Watts scored 10 of her 22 points in the first quarter to keep the Tar Heels (12-5, 2-0 ACC) within striking distance. She almost earned the first triple-double in program history, finishing with 10 rebounds and eight assists. 

Watts, who has scored in double digits in every game during UNC's six-game winning streak, attributes her development to guidance from Hall of Fame coach Sylvia Hatchell. 

“She’s always so intense, so you have no choice but just to rise to her intensity,” Watts said. “It just makes me a better player.”

The Tar Heels now sit in third place in the ACC with a 2-0 conference record. A victory over Syracuse marks the team's best win of the season, as the Orange is ranked No. 25 in the USA Today Coaches Poll. 

But in the beginning of Thursday's contest, it looked like UNC might suffer its sixth loss of the season. 

Sophomore guard Jamie Cherry, one of the team's primary ball-handlers, said the Tar Heels needed to adjust to Syracuse’s press. Noting this, Hatchell’s message to her team during a North Carolina timeout in the first quarter was simple enough. 

“I told them, ‘Settle down, OK. Weather the storm,’" she said. "We were just panicking out there a little bit. We got our people in the right places and started making some of the right passes and attacking at the end.”

Cherry said Watts and first-year guard Destinee Walker, who finished with 17 points, made her job against the press easier by providing reliable outlets. 

“I think the freshmen did a great job of attacking when they got the ball in the middle of the press or on the side,” Cherry said. 

The Tar Heels’ trimmed Syracuse’s lead to 39-33 at the half despite committing 14 turnovers, including nine in the first quarter. The Orange's lead stayed intact during the third quarter, but a layup by Watts to open the final period cut the deficit to four. 

North Carolina grabbed its first lead with 4:07 remaining in the game on a floater by Walker, and the Tar Heels never relinquished it. 

Watts ended the scoring by making two free throws in the waning seconds to put the game out of reach. Hatchell had high praise for Watts and her performance after the game. 

“She just competes hard all the time — you just got to love her,” Hatchell said. “I love how hard she plays and how she competes.”

@kmercer94