UNC women's basketball shines on both ends of the floor in ACC opener

From the opening tip on Sunday, the North Carolina women’s basketball made it clear it would not be denied a win in its ACC opener.

Trailing just once early in the game, an unwavering offensive performance by the Tar Heels proved too much for Clemson en route to a dominant 72-56 victory at Carmichael Arena.

While the Tigers (4-10, 0-1 ACC) put together a solid defensive effort, forcing 24 turnovers and recording 17 steals, the Tar Heels consistently found ways to score.

UNC (11-5, 1-0 ACC) saw a zone defense, a scheme that has given the team trouble this season, but the Tar Heels made adjustments and found success against an active Clemson defense.

In the past, redshirt senior Erika Johnson said her team limited itself to passing along the perimeter and failing to penetrate zone defenses. Against the Tigers, the Tar Heels drove and drove often.

The North Carolina defense also gave Clemson fits early on, allowing just seven points in the first period. Clemson would, however, manage to score at least 15 points in each of the final three periods.

But just as the Tigers began to find their stride against a stout UNC defense, the Tar Heels' offense took off — crushing any potential comeback.

UNC attacked from all over the floor, as four Tar Heels finished in double figures. North carolina needed to make shots against Clemson’s zone defense, and the UNC guards did just that, combining for 48 points.

But down the stretch, it would be UNC’s 18 made free throws in the second half that ultimately lifted the team to a win to start its ACC journey.

Quotable

“We just keep getting better and better. We’re just looking forward to every game, because every time we walk off the court at practice, we’re a better team. “ — Coach Sylvia Hatchell on her team’s improvement.

Notable

Hatchell recorded her 700th victory in her storied career with the Tar Heels. Her 972 career wins are the most for any active coach in women’s basketball.

Three numbers that matter

5: With the victory against Clemson, UNC has now won five straight games, the team’s best streak of the season.

16: Sophomore Jamie Cherry recorded a team-high 16 points, all in the second half. The guard made clutch free throws down the stretch to help her team to the victory.

72: Clemson was only able to manage 56 points in the contest, but it wasn’t due to a lack of shooting. The Tigers put up 72 shots, 20 more than the Tar Heels.

What’s next?

UNC will take on Syracuse at 7 p.m. on Thursday at Carmichael Arena.

@_Brohammed