Durham bus service to be extended into Carrboro

Carrboro residents who commute to Chapel Hill or Durham for their job will soon be able to ride a more efficient and direct route as GoTriangle extends its bus route stops in August 2016.

Carrboro Board of Alderman member Damon Seils said that this plan has been in the works for several years now.

“GoTriangle, as well as other transits, are making changes based on the Orange County bus and rail improvement plan,” Seils said. 

“Changes have been made every step of the way; this is just a part of the latest rounds of improvement.”

Further developments will include shortening the amount of time between bus arrivals from between 35 and 59 minutes to 15 minutes. 

Carrboro resident and Market Street Coffee barista Laurin Gioglio has been living in Carrboro for four years and understands the impact GoTriangle’s latest changes will have. 

“I think extending the GoTriangle stop is a good idea because my former roommate and I used to have to walk all the way to Franklin Street from Carrboro to catch a bus into Durham,” Gioglio said.

The 15-501 corridor is one of the most heavily traveled roads in North Carolina. Traffic on 15-501 will continue to increase as more and more people move to the Triangle for work and education purposes. 

Carrboro Mayor Lydia Lavelle believes Carrboro is on the forefront for building sustainability in North Carolina. 

“Sustainability has always been a mantra for our values,” Lavelle said. 

“A large majority of Carrboro residents work outside of Carrboro in Chapel Hill and Durham. These changes will make it more accessible.”

Carrboro has the highest rate of bus transportation use in North Carolina. 

@Marie__Muir