Letter: ​Voting law is confusing and obstructionist

CORRECTION: Due to an editing error, a previous version of this letter incorrectly stated whether out-of-state driver's licenses could be presented as voter ID. Residents with out-of-state driver's licenses can present them as voter ID if they register to vote in North Carolina within 90 days of an election. The letter has been updated to reflect this change. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for the error.

I am thrilled to see important voting information being shared with the public, especially college students. The article states, “out-of-state students that register to vote in North Carolina within 90 days of the election can use an out-of-state ID.” It is simply a crying shame that North Carolina has passed such confusing and limiting voter ID laws, which are so easily misunderstood or misconstrued.

The general public has been taught that these laws are for the good of democracy, protecting us from voter fraud. Yet, they are unaware that voter fraud is a statistical nonissue and that a huge percentage of valid voters will be prevented or dissuaded from voting because of these laws.

Low-income citizens have been thrown one more hurdle to overcome in practicing their constitutional right. But perhaps most sadly, uninformed and apathetic citizens have found one more reason to opt out of political participation.

Amanda Nunn

Junior

Political Science