Man on the Street: Are you satisfied with the quality of life in Chapel Hill?

A survey conducted in October and November of 2015 measured Chapel Hill residents’ satisfaction with the quality of life and town services. The survey found that 89 percent of residents are satisfied with the quality of life in Chapel Hill, while 3 percent are dissatisfied. Additionally, the survey found that 85 percent of residents are satisfied with the overall quality of services provided by the town of Chapel Hill, while 2 percent are dissatisfied. Chapel Hill ranked above the national average by 29 percent. The survey was conducted by ETC Institute, a market research firm in Olathe, Kan. 

Staff writer Jane Little interviewed residents to find out whether or not they agreed with the findings. 

Matthew Smith, a research specialist at the UNC School of Medicine

“Chapel Hill is an authentic place with good people. It’s a kind-hearted town.”

Allison Reid, the executive director of marketing and communications in the UNC Division of Finance and Administration

"(Chapel Hill) has a really high quality of living. It’s a small town feel with all of the benefits of having a university in your town. The arts and sports and the school system is really good."

Danielle Tippens, office administrator at United Tae Kwon Do Academy of Chapel Hill and Carrboro

“I really like walking everywhere and I like the people of Chapel Hill.”

Mark Malachi, a local musician

“I agree with that because there’s so much in Chapel Hill that is satisfying. There is great people culture, access to Raleigh and Durham really easily. It’s a small town feel but in a more urban environment so you have sort of the best of both worlds.”

Glenn Wallace, who works in private equity, and his wife, Kyla Wallace 

“There are things to do, and yet it’s peaceful and feels like a small town,” Kyla Wallace said.

“The selection of restaurants. I mean, we came down here to eat today and so many good, different places to choose from,” Glenn Wallace said.

@janelittle26